Want to develop a hardware device to detect CallerID from a ringing analog phone

Hi

As a company we want to develop a hardware box with a telecom connector and a USB connector. An alerting call on the analog line will be detected and using the countries Caller ID presentation protocol pickup the Caller ID. This information would then be sent down the USB cable to the PC to be intercepted and acted on.

My questions are:

1. Where should I be looking for hardware?
  2. Where should I be looking for development systems - I am presuming some embedded chips required here?
  3. Anyone know of any companies we could outsource development to?
  4. On the PC what would be required? Would we need to write a driver? How big a job is that?

any help on this would be much appreciated.

Angus

Reply to
Angus
Loading thread data ...

If you don't mind serial rather than USB, pretty much any dial up modem you can buy nowadays will do this.

Reply to
Ron Kritzman

That's interesting. I was thinking that modem would interfere - user will just use his phone in the same way. But I suppose could just make sure modem doesn't answer call and just only pickup caller id after first ring (or whatever it is).

Only problem with that is most modems don't pickup UK caller id. But might be an interesting option.

Reply to
Angus

A few moments of Googlage finds at least one vendor selling a box that turns UK CLID into USB messages.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.