Voltage rating for Cat3?

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone knows what the voltage rating for an individual conductor in a 22AWG Cat3 wire might be? I can find a number of different specifications for this wire, but no voltage rating.

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken
Loading thread data ...

Voltage rating for Cat3?

formatting link

Reply to
John F. Morse

I'd say it would be close enough to go to something like a Cat5e cable, like the Belden 7932A. The belden tech specs on it says it has a max voltage of 300V RMS. Oddly enough, Belden doesn't list voltage as a spec on any of their cat3 crossconnect or cabling.

Cat3 is designed for phone, which can easily exceed 100V ring voltages.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks for that Doug, you got me me to the Beldin site, where I was able to find a spec sheet with voltage data for their Cat3 (1227A1) with the same colour coding as the stuff I have that is marked as being from "Coleman Cable".

Like the Cat5e, it is also listed as having a 300V RMS rating, which is what I was hoping for, and that is for the bone standard phone stuff, too.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Except of course your little trick doesn't produce the results that they are asking for. All that comes up is category levels for working with electrical power testing, of which category III is one. Not the specs of the 24AWG 4-pair wire he is looking for.

Don't assume google is all knowing.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

That is not what he (not "they") specified.

Not 24 AWG, but 22 AWG.

Not 4-pair but "an individual conductor" plus "wire" and "this wire." And not "cable."

You didn't examine all of the Google hits to see if the answer is within them. I found it twice.

I never stated that nor assumed it.

You assumed: "I'd say it would be close enough to go to something like a Cat5e cable, like the Belden 7932A. The belden tech specs on it says it has a max voltage of 300V RMS."

The 300 V RMS is mentioned in the tables on the two Google hits I read.

I tried to provide help. You failed to even read what he asked, then condemned me for spending my time looking up the table, etc.

To top it off, you butted in and are not the OP.

The only good I see from your message is you are using NN.

Have a good day.

Reply to
John F. Morse

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.