Using RG-6 cable plant for home LAN

Hello all, I have read that Verizon is using existing coax for the inside portion of new FIOS roll-outs. My question is this: since my home has RG-6 coax strung to just about every room in the house, is there a way I can utilise this instead of wireless, which is finicky, or fishing CAT5 to all the rooms, which is time-consuming and expensive? I realise coax hasn't been used for LAN applications since the days of good ol' Thick Ethernet, but I was wondering if there was equipment that could take advantage of the copious bandwidth of coax cabling in a more -- modern -- fashion.

Reply to
Syd Barrett
Loading thread data ...

There are equipment that can take the use of antenna coaxial wiring for data communications.

Here are some techniques I have heard of:

1. Cable modems: They communicate through cable TV infrastructure that consists of antenna wiring and active equipment. The user end of communciations cable modems are quite cheap, but I think the device needed on the opgther end of cummunications (normally on cable operator headend) I think is expensive special device. Standard most widely used nowadays is DOCSIS
    formatting link

1. There are various proprietary device that can modulate the data communications to around 900 MHz or so frequency so they can co-exist on antenna wiring on house.
    formatting link
    formatting link
    formatting link
    formatting link
    formatting link
    formatting link

1. There are some variations of HomePNA system (version 2 or 3) that can run over coaxial cable. Running HPNA 2.0 Over Existing Cable/TV Coax
    formatting link
  2. There are passive baluns that can convert 10Base-T ethernet to antenna cabling (some even with antenna signal together on the same cable). For those to work you need to have antenna cabling wires in "star" fashion and putting a special coupler/hub in the center of star or you need to have point-to-point coax connection. Several companies make those.
    formatting link
    formatting link
    formatting link
    formatting link
    formatting link
    formatting link
Reply to
Tomi Holger Engdahl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.