Use of Cell Phones within Retail Store

Our 2-story retail store has been using an old Nortel system, which no longer supports its mobile telephones. Repairs have become almost impossible.

My suggestion to the management was to replace the Nortel mobile telephones with off-the-shelf cell phones.

Using our old system, an outside call can be made to the department's extension by dialing the store and then the extension.

My idea was to program the cell phones to the store's outside number and the department code.

Our manager likes the idea, but suggests that (1) it would tie up outside calls, and (2) the concrete in the structure limits the use of cell phones within the store.

I only have the idea. And, I am hoping that members of this group might suggest that it is feasible/unfeasible.

If it is, indeed, feasible, would you suggest what I should be looking for? Can a router within the store eliminate "dead zones" we have found? What can be done, if needed, to ensure that our home customers still have active access to the store?

Obviously, I'm a green-horn at this. I sure would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Earl Sande Surrey, BC, Canada

Reply to
hot_dog_relish
Loading thread data ...

Uh, no. Mobile phones and cordless phones are not at all the same thing, and you can't run mobile phones from a PBX. Also, if you have poor cell coverage within the store, repeaters are not cheap.

Honestly, it sounds like you need a new PBX. There's all sorts of options, and PBXes are a lot smaller and cheaper than they used to be. Assuming your store wiring is in OK shape, it would probably be possible to do a "forklift upgrade" replacing the PBX and the phones but reusing the wiring.

Reply to
John L

You might consider a third-party vendor of wireless PBX extensions such as

formatting link

Reply to
Reed

How about replacing it with an IP PBX, put in some WiFi nodes, and use VoIP over WiFi?

------------------------ Hank Karl Eastern Regional Manager Contact me at

formatting link
-- use the eastern region adress

Representing:

formatting link
CompactSIP, ISDN, T1 RBS, E1 R2 CAS, Frame Relay, ML-PPP, X.25, ...
formatting link
elemedia(tm) H.323, Video Codecs, and Audio Codecs

Reply to
Hank Karl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.