T! crossover cable

I have a customer that currently has ground start and Tie channels on a T1 from AT&T. They were supposed to be switched to a T1 from McLeod last week, but Mcleod missed a couple of numbers that needed to be ported so the switch got delayed.

The current T1 connection to the PBX is an RJ 45 plug plugged into a CSU. But in talking with the McLeod tech he said I may need a T1 crossover cable to make the new T1 work.

I'm familiar with Ethernet crossover cables, but can't locate anything on line about T1 crossover cables. I'm trying to be proactive here, and if I need to make up something would prefer not to do it on the fly by the seat of my pants.

Can someone direct me to info, provide info, etc.

TIA

Take care, Rich

God bless the USA

Reply to
Rich Piehl
Loading thread data ...

Hi Rich...

I'd be quite surprised if you'd need new cables to move a working DS-1 from one service to another, especially if the same access provider is being used.

But... To make a "DS-1 Crossover cable" wire it like this:

On the "Left" one end of the cable wire pin 1 to pin 5 on the "right" end and pin 2 on the "Left" end to pin 4 on the "Right" end. And vice versa (4 & 5 on the "Right" end connect to 1 & 2 on the "Left" end. (If it makes more sense to you subsitute CSU for "Left" and PBX for "Right"!). Making these connections connects the transmit signal on one end of the cable to the recieve signal on the other end while keeping the tip and ring conductors "straight".

Good luck! Enjoy a fun and safe holiday!

Al

Reply to
Al Gillis

You won't be able to find one in a store, you'll have to make it, or change things around. You may be able to find one on eBay for CCNA's doing testing or the like.

Most likely what he meant is that the tech might have reversed the pairs when they installed your new T1. They frequently don't check to see if their pair polarity is correct on their T-BRD sets when they test them. I know I've had to fix this sort of problem dozens of times when I've been onsite installing routers and such.

A T1 is pined out on an RJ-45 to be receive on pins 1 & 2 and Transmit on pins 3 & 4. This is different pins than what Ethernet uses, so an ethernet cross-over won't work.

You can make your own T1 cross-over cable by simply reversing pin 1 and 3 and pin 2 and 4 end-to-end.

Or, what is probably easier, is to go into the jack, most installer techs use a screw-down terminal jack, move the cable on pin1 over to the one on pin3, and move the cable on pin2 over to pin4.

Then it'll be wired correctly for the future instead of having a special cable that you'll forget about in the future.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Reply to
Touch Tone Tommy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.