SX2000 lost password

Hi, I'm looking for opinions on how to get round this little problem please.

Non-red Microlight running Q10.11.3, for which we have none of the passwords. We have the original Q10 disc and the options printout with the sysid & MOC etc but cannot get into programming.

Is the only way to change the hard disk for a new/blank one and reload the OS?

Have tried rebooting with the harddisk power lead disconnected and can then get in with default passwords, but when I power up the harddisc the system reports a serious system error when I use CDE. Also reports "node does not exist" if I try any disc operations or commands.

The hard disc does not have a Mitel part number on it - are these simply industry standard drives nowadays? If so what spec?

HELP PLEASE!

Cheers, Lee

Reply to
Proteus
Loading thread data ...

Have you tried the default userID and Password pairs?

Mitel Product Support can provide a 1-day temporary password to get you in so you can change them, tho you'll have to be certified on the product and s/w load before they'll even talk to you. You'll also need to know the

5-digit SYSID number. More bad news I'm afraid, Q-stream (Lightware 29) is no longer supported so even if you're certified on it you'll still have to pay a support charge. Not sure amount, someone once said it was something like $150. If you know who the area TAM (Tech Acct Mgr) is I'd start there.

Mitel drives on the SX2000 are a generic hard drive with a custom HD controller card. A lot of these were Quantum drives at one time.

You might want to check out the Mitel Networks forum over at

formatting link
Someone there might be able to help.

Reply to
wdg

Not exactly what I wanted to hear but many thanks for the info.

Reply to
Proteus

Mitel is pretty protective of their intellectual property and dealer network. Depends on what side of that fence you're on. Personally I wouldn't want it any other way. I've worked 18+ years obtaining and staying current with my Mitel product certifications. I don't mind helping a fellow out now and then, but Q-10 (LW29 Rls 2) goes back to October '98 and was dropped from the list of supported software at least 2 years ago. You can still get what you need, but at this stage of the game I'm afraid it's going to involve the services of a certified dealer local to you and no doubt the payment of several hundred bux.

Maybe worth it, maybe not. The SX2000, even the non-redundant & Microlight variants are pretty nice systems. It would probably be worth the money if the system already has the newer processors (MC-3 (good), 3R (better) or

3E Best)) and RSD drive and 120 meg hard drive. On the other hand yes, there are some older hardware variants still out there with MC-2 processors and 85-meg (and smaller) drives that would no doubt take a sizeable amount of folding money to bring up to current standards.

Just my opinion, I don't think any Q-stream (or earlier) system is worth the investment it would take to try and bring it up to the current release (LW33). Software alone would likely be over 5000 and double that amount or more if a hardware upgrade (hard drive, main controller & RSD) is needed. Before I'd do that I think I'd look into buying a new Mitel 3300 or a SX200_ICP.

Reply to
wdg

I agree with pretty much all you say here...

But I'm not talking corporate customer here though. This is a small solicitors office in the north of England. This old Q-stream Microlight has been sitting in a cupboard since being recovered from another office where a company went bust. Along with 30 SS4025s and 6 analogue trunks, this switch will do all they need for several years to come... if we can get round the password problem. The original owners and their maintainers now no longer exist so finding the original password will be a no go.

We have the original options printout, SYSID, MOC and the original Q10.11.3 RSD. Just seems a shame to break the system up for spares (MCIIIR & RSD etc.) for the sake of starting again and reloading the OS.

Reply to
Proteus

Try this. (There's about a 30-second window during bootup where you might be able to get in)

Assuming it's running, connect the maintenance terminal and get the "Desktop" (login) screen. Then hold down the panel enable pushbutton while pressing the restart button. Watch the maintenance screen. As soon as it repaints the Desktop screen you should be able to (quickly) log in -1 with the userid of SYSTEM and a password of SX2000, then immediately press to open a Maintenance session. Now, (quickly again) enter the command DBMS FLAG OFF followed by the command LOAD From the moment you see the DESKTOP screen you'll have only about 30-secs to perform these tasks so don't dawdle.

If this works, the next time it comes up you should have a blank database and your passwords should all be back at factory defaults, i.e., SYSTEM - SX2000 (highest level) INSTALLER - SX2000 MAINT1 - SX2000 MAINT2 - SX2000 SUPERVISOR - SX2000

With a blank database you will need to start programming from scratch but will not need to reinstall the software. Your MOC options may or may not survive, but in the unlikely event they're lost you can always reenter them since as you say you have the MOSS sheet.

Good luck.

Reply to
wdg

Hi Lee

If you have as you say the options sheet and the RSD for the software, insert the RSD start the system, it will load from the RSD then just follow the instructions for a software reload, It wont take long and you will not need a new harddrive.

If need any help email me at snipped-for-privacy@cyber-cottage.co.uk I am based in the UK and provide support mitel systems.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Well I never realised you could 'catch' it like that, but I'll certainly give it a try.

Many thanks!

Reply to
Proteus

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.