STM-1c?

In Europe, our client wants an STM-1c between two locations. However, the local carriers state they cannot deliver a STM-1c, but only an STM-1.

Is this truly the case? Or is there a way to deliver an STM-1c? (ie. VC-4c)

I'm trying to understand if STM-1c in an SDH network is even possible.

thanks...

Reply to
gadavis
Loading thread data ...

The request from you client sounds like a intermixing of SONET and SDH terminology.

In SDH (used in Europe), the STM-1 is the same line rate as an SONET OC-3. The question is what kind of payload are you carrying (i.e. the PATH level traffic).

In a STM-1, you can carry AU-4(VC-4) or three AU-3 (VC-3). In the US, I have typically heard the term STM-1c used for an STM-1 carrying an AU-4(VC-4). But, this is an intermixing of SONET and SDH terminology since SDH does not have a STM-1c.

You probably want to verify what kind of traffic your customer is carrying and that should give you an idea of what the really want. A likely scenario is that if they are carrying data traffic, it is an STM-1 carrying a AU-4 and, if it is voice traffic, then it is a STM-1 likely carrying AU-3. NOTE: This is only a likely scenario and there are network topologies that can be exactly opposite of what I just described.

Hope that helped.

Bill

formatting link
Providers of embedded software for implementing the physical layer of WAN interfaces including T1/E1/T3/E3/SONET/SDH

Reply to
Bill Matern

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.