"Ring-master" in CA

I seem to recall the PacBell/SBC never offered alternate DN's aka "Ringmaster" whereby a 2nd directory number rang the same pair with different cadence.

Is this still true, or is it available under a new buzzword?

Reply to
David Lesher
Loading thread data ...

Here in Orange County, CA it was offered as a way to get the fax machine to answer on the same line. Of course you had to have the fax machine that could detect the different cadences. I don't remember what it's called, but for such a simple and easy thing to do, it was way overpriced.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Well, the name would help since the reps I ask are clueless on same...

(And you can use an external ring director...)

Reply to
David Lesher

See if "Distinctive Ring" gets any response.

However, what I found, via a Google search, tends to indicate that PacBell does _not_ offer the feature.

quoting from , regarding distinctive ring offerings:

Telco Service Name Total numbers per line Bell South RingMaster 3 GTE Distinctive Ring 2 Ameritech Multi-Ring 3 US West Custom Ringing 3 SW Bell Personalized Ring 3 Bell Atlantic RingMate 3 PacBell Not available 1

Pac Bell offers something called "priority ringing" where you get a "distinctive ring" when the call is from any of a list of 'special' numbers.

I suspect there is an inherent conflict between that and the "multiple DN on one wire-pair with unique ring cadence" service.

One option might be to see what a CLEC, instead of Pac Bell, has to offer.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I have checked recently, and SBC - Pac Bell San Francisco Area - does not offer it. They are really pushing "ADL" - additional lines. Increased competition from VoIP providers, giving low-cost additional lines, may persuade SBC to make such an offer, though they are spending most of their energy looking for other sources of revenue, such as television.

Reply to
jlshelton3

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.