Questions on setting up a new phone system

We currently have electronic key line centrex, but we are going to be switching to ISDN PRI. We currently have Nortel Meridian M5009 and M5209 phones. We have been very happy with them but since they are not compatible with the PRI we are looking to switch.

Basically, my question is will we likely be able to do the initial setup and config ourselves? Or is this something that is best left to a professional. I am computer savvy, and my cousin who works for us on the side is an IT manager for another area company. He maintains their PBX phone system, but he has never configured one from scratch.

The phone company will bring the T1 into our location, then we are responsible for it from there, we will be running 23 B channels and 1 D channel. I am almost positive we are going to setup DID and Voicemail. The system at the top of our list right now is:

Nortel Norstar MICS for Digital PRI T1

6-Port Combo 7.0 Software CallPilot 150 8 Port x 32 Mailboxes 22-25 T7316E Phones T24 KIM

I am considering the Nortel since we are very happy with our current system, I am open to recommendations on other systems though.

If it is best that we leave the initial setup to a professional, can anyone recommend someone near Cleveland, Ohio.

Thanks in advance, Joe

Reply to
Joe Tillery
Loading thread data ...

If you have never touched a Nortel Switch, (which i am guessing that you haven't by the way you describe PRIs - very accurate by the way) and if you don't have a GUI for the system then you will have to have it professionally installed. If you have a Graphical User Interface on a windows terminal where you have Optivity Telephony Manager or the like installed you have a fighting chance, but only to make simple moves adds and changes once the system is already configured. If you have the time to kill you are welcome to try to do it yourself, and then when you find that it is woefully more complex than regular computing you can hire the professional services for installation, but if you are on a project deadline, i would recommend just going ahead and hiring someone. Even with the help of your IT manager, unless its something you do everyday, you're going to need help.

-Good Luck at any rate.

Reply to
Bacchus

You will need help.

Nortel is good, so is Avaya, so is Panasonic. (I sell Panasonic but all major brands seem to do a good job.) The important thing is to find a good professional installer/tech you can work with. If you don't you will be unhappy. Don't imagine that it will be similar to programming anything else. (Especially when you add voicemail...)

Charles

Reply to
Charles P.

Thanks for the information. Looks like I will definitely get a technician to help with the install. I just wanted to make sure that it was necessary before I went that route. I am trying to learn as much as possible about this, since I would like to do the support and minor programming changes myself ocne the system is up and running. We made an offer on a phone system and should have an answer by Monday. The details are:

Toshiba DK424 Strata Cabinet with DKSUE424a expansion base Voicemail with automated attendant (not sure on model or storage time) (30) Toshiba DKT2010-SD Phones (2) Polycom Speakerphones It also has several line cards.

The system was purchased in 2001, and everything works perfectly. The company got bought out and is closing the office. We have a verbal acceptance on our offer, and are waiting for the final acceptance. The offer was $850 and we disconnect the equipment. I did some checking on Ebay, and it looks like the system would go for $3000+ depending on what cards there are if it was parted out. I figured for the price we couldn't go wrong, but if I find out that it doesn't suit or needs, than we can always sell it on Ebay.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Toshiba system? One thing I saw was some conflicting information on the PRI access card. Some places listed it for the DK424 and some places listed it for the DK424i. Does anyone know if the DK424 will support the PRI card? We are planning on going with the PRI lines, but have a couple other options at the same recurring monthly charge.

Also, if anyone has a technician that they recommend in Cleveland, Ohio, I would appreciate, I am not sure who I should use for the initial config.

Thanks

Reply to
Joe Tillery

Joe, We are an authorized Toshiba dealer. You should check your software revision as well as the exact model if it is a 424i you will be in a much better position for the PRI. I can refer a dealer if you like

Reply to
Steves

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.