Question on phone cord connectors

If the connector for the phone line coming from the wall is an RJ-11, what connector is used for the coiled cord connecting the handset to the telephone? It seems a little smaller. Any help is appreciated...

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave
Loading thread data ...

Wikipedia says that it's commonly referred to as an RJ9, RJ10, or RJ22, but it also says that those names are incorrect. (I think the deal is that it's only officially an RJ-series connector if it's part of the standardized telephone system, and the handset connectors are completely up to the whim of the manufacturer, even though there is a de facto standard.)

formatting link
I added a crosspost to comp.dcom.telecom.tech; maybe someone there knows.

Reply to
Wim Lewis

The most correct name for the handset connector is a 4p4c modular plug/jack.

Just like a phone line connector is a 6p2c modular jack (or 6p4c sometimes).

And an Ethernet jack is an 8p8c modular jack.

ie. x position, y connector.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

I've seen 10way connectors the same width as 8 way ethernet ones ones (the three I've seen were on bar-code reader cables)

would that be 8P10C or is there a special designation for under-width connectors?

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

No. How can you have eight positions, and ten contacts? A 'position' is a place for one contact.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, it would be 10p10c modular connectors.

They can be a touch wider than 8p8c jacks as well, but not enough to account for the "extra" 2 connector pins.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

the plug is the same width as that used for twisted pair ethernet, what is commonly called "RJ45" or 8P8C, but it has 10 contacts.

formatting link
vs
formatting link

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

The width of the housing has nothing to do with the designation. It could be three feet wide, and still only have ten postions.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.