POTS service to a cell phone?

Back in the day, when you went to a Hamfest or Flea Market, someone always had a converter box that let them use their cell phone with a stadard Trans 300/330 credit card terminal.

Does anyone make that for a new cell phone? I'm guessing yes because there are way too many docking stations that let you use your home phone on the cell network.

Anybody have experience with this? My customer is on Alltel and not adverse to getting a different phone.

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro
Loading thread data ...

I believe what you are looking for might be called a Dock n Talk. I found this in a Froogle search.

formatting link
Hope this helps, Take care, Rich

God bless the USA

Reply to
Rich Piehl

Thanks, Rich!

Unfortunately, I think you have to have ANALOG service to pass modem tones.

Try to find THAT nowadays :-)

Carl

Reply to
Carl Navarro

formatting link
>

Well, I don't know what your customer is using for a zon, but Sprint does have a service for some of their phones called 'phone as modem.' There's an additional monthly fee for it. I can't find at the moment so be sure ask a ton of questions, but I do recall seeing something from Sprint about accessing third party dial up sites. And I know it was for digital phones because I ran across it while looking at info for my Treo, which doesn't do analog. Here's a c/p from their website

your laptop computer anywhere on the Sprint Power Vision Network. Simply connect your Power Vision phone using a USB cable or the built-in connection on Bluetooth-enabled phones.

Maybe it'll help, maybe it won't. In the 'whatever it's worth' department.

Take care, Rich

God bless the USA

Reply to
Rich Piehl

formatting link
>

Verizon has it for free[1] at low speed (14.4Kbps). You can use Verizon as the ISP, or you can dial-in to wherever else you want.

[1] There's no monthly charge, but the minutes are charged according to your normal plan.

You can get a usb cable for most any modern phone for 10$-20$ and it will act like a modem.

Reply to
Grant Edwards
[Default] Rich Piehl said on that big USENET thingie:

The Doc-n-talk is a great product and works well with voice (we turned off two POTS telco lines and are using a couple of old Motorola phones and Dock-n-talks for those two lines) , but it will not do any data or FAX at this time.

Many modern cellphones will work as modems and as FAX on their own though.

Steve

Reply to
support

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.