Panasonic KX-T7431 Question

I'm looking for help simply changing a setting on a Panasonic KX-T7431 Digital Hybrid Business Phone. I moved one of the units to a different jack, and now it won't dial out (it's completely restricted) because it needs to be set to the new extension. Does anyone know how I would go about this, or where I could find a manual online?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
jacobmorse
Loading thread data ...

You probably need to change the settings for that port in your KSU, not the phone itself.

What was plugged into that port before?

What kind of KSU?

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

Well, I'm completely new to this phone business, so I'm not familiar with the equipment. The man that set up our phone system no longer deals with us directly and is asking an exorbident amount to fix this problem. That's why I'm trying to figure it out on my own.

You may cringe when I ask, but what is a KSU? I am quite tech savvy, I just have never dealt with this type of equipment. If someone would be willing to offer me some basic instructions, I'm confident I could solve the problem.

I looked at our equipment and there is a large Panasonic unit of some kind (maybe a KSU?) with what looks like CAT 5 cables coming out of it. We also have a Panasonic Voice Processor. Does that help?

Reply to
Jake 'n Bake

Ok.. but make sure you have a really good idea of what you are doing before you start diving into configuring a phone system. The Panasonic systems are easier than most, but there is still a bewildering array of options, and if you screw it up, you can end up with a system that dosen't do what you expect.

The KSU (Key System Unit) is the brains of the system. It handles all the interfacing between the telco, and the individual phones, controls all of the phone options, interfaces to the voicemail, etc.

Yes. You will need the complete model numbers of both of these boxes, as well as the firmware revision levels. You will want manuals for both, if you don't already have them somewhere.

Most, if not all, of the programming can be done from a display phone.

There is a lot of good information available from

formatting link

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

Thank you for your response(s). Bob, I will check into that site and see what I come up with.

Charles, it's not an issue of restricting employee phones. We are a small start-up (only 5 guys),and I am pretty sure the restrictions were put into place by this semi-freelance telecomm guy in order that he might be the single go-to if we had any problems. That might explain why he's trying to charge me so much to change this setting (which I presume is simple, for him).

You're both right in that it may be too much for me to try and learn. I'm fairly confident that I could take it on, but time/energy is an issue, so it might behoove me to look into a Panasonic dealer. I am in North Texas (Denton).

Thanks again for you help.

Reply to
Jake 'n Bake

Hi Jake,

You might want to mention where you are located, there may another Panasonic dealer in the area who charges less or would be willing to work with you to let you take care of some basic management yourself.

I do that with a number of my customers. As Bob mentioned though, programming is not a simple thing. Some people can grasp it easily, but I have had many customers (computer programmers) who want to try to program the system themselves but come back to me quickly to say it wasn't worth their time to try to learn it.

The other thing that is awkward in asking openly how to un-restrict extensions is that usually the owner of the company sets it that way on purpose. When someone wants to undo that, they may just be trying to get around the restriction to make calls at the company expense.

Also there are many ways that an extension could be restricted. Without knowing the original programming of the system it will be hard to guess the right way to unrestrict it. (i.e. the CO's could be blocked, the COS could be set wrong, the extension could be locked, etc.)

If you are up for it, you can find a number of places selling manuals online (search on ebay). Once you get a little familiar with the programming steps you will be better able to find the right answers.

charles

Reply to
Charles P.

Jake,

A check of Panasonic TD dealers in Denton, TX shows 15, most of them in or near Dallas. You might spend an hour or so on the phone calling some of them until you find one that you like better.

The link is long and doesn't paste very well, so the idea is to go to

formatting link
click on "how to buy" and then CSD-KX-TD/TA Phone Systems. It will bring up a product search. Type in KX-TD1232 in the box and your zip code on the next screen.

Regarding your problem. I have never closed down an unused port, or changed the class of service to something different on an unused port. Are you moving this to a former warehouse or public jack? If you know how to get into programming, you can examine the COS of the phone with the 601 command. You would have to look in 003 to find your extension jack. The concept is that a digital phone sits on Jack #01 of each port and the XDP extension is on Jack #02, so your extension might be on Port 6 Jack #01.

Of course, without a manual or a very good cheat sheet you should be very careful in modifying any programming.

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.