Off-premise PBX extension via IP?

We have four incoming lines and four stations and we'd like to replace the old small PBX we have now. One feature I'd like to have is to add a station to this system at my house.

I have broadband internet connections at the office and my house, so this would be an ideal connection method since it would eliminate the need for Rube Goldberg-type circuits and modules from the phone company.

A lot of the material I've found on contemporary PBX systems refer to their "VoIP" features, but it seems to apply to the CO connection side rather than the station side.

The IVX C-Class is one example of a system which seems to be what I'm looking for -- a system that takes traditional copper connections on the CO side, and accommodates the usual wired stations plus the option of remote stations via IP.

A similar thread I found in here mentioned the Panasonic TDA50, but it looks like a "VoIP on the CO side" system (none of the sets are IP sets,) and it isn't available outside the closed Panasonic channel anyway.

I'd like to have a set that I could just plug into an internet connection at my house (or hotel if I'm traveling,) and have it become part of the system, complete with line and station appearances, intercom functionality, etc.

If anyone has specific system recommendations, I'd be happy to hear them!

Thanks.

Reply to
Kyle
Loading thread data ...

If all you want is an analog extension to your house off of your PBX at work you can get 2 small single line gateways

formatting link
(1 FXS and 1 FXO) and get what you need. It would be simpler if you have a static IP at your house but there are ways around that even if you don't.

Program up one analog station circuit on your PBX and plug that into an FXO gateway then poin that gateway at you rIP address at hoome and there connect the FXS gateway to your network and then connect an analog phone to it.

Reply to
Ray Cassick (Home)

No, they'll just give you a remote POTS line.

Reply to
John L

Thanks for the tip. So, if I get the Panasonic KX-TA624 switch and some KX-T7736 sets, I can use a couple of the Sipura units (connect one to one of the station ports on the switch) and remotely connect one of the KX-T7736 sets over the Internet to the PBX and get full functionality (line/extension appearances, intercom, etc.)?

Reply to
Kyle

OK. Thanks. I guess Ray didn't understand my original question.

Reply to
Kyle

No, I understood, but fired off a very quick solution.

If you are looking for a way to get a digital type station set off your PBX to your home I think you will find that unless you run a very long wire :) you will be out of luck. Unless that is you locate a PBX vendor that offers IP phone integration with all the bells and whistles you are asking for.

The problem comes down really to the fact that the station sets that have all the fancy features and buttons rely on a proprietary protocol to drive them and that is not something that is easily encapsulated over IP. The company that I work for Intel's communications division soon to belong to Eicon looked into a VoIP gateway that did exactly this IP encapsulation of digital station set protocols) but has not yet released anything. Keep in mind that since each vendors phones are different (that's why you cant take a Nortel phone set and plug it into an Avaya PBX) these devices would be very PBX specific.

Reply to
Ray Cassick (Home)

"Ray Cassick \\(Home\\)" wrote in news:meOdnVLhoJ826mfZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

I think Asterisk would be the only (relatively) inexpensive solution. I don't know how well it works, but what attracts me to Asterisk is that it is a true VoIP system that also supports traditional analog lines and T1s. There are companies who will configure Asterisk to work out of the box for you. (This is not an endorsement. I don't know enough about Asterisk to know how well it works. I mostly work on Nortel switches.)

Where I'm working now we mostly sell the Panasonic TDA line (and, as of yet, I know very little about these). I do know the TDA50 won't do what Kyle wants, but I think the TDA100 and TDA200 might. The problem is they are much bigger systems and more expensive than what is needed for a four phone office.

Reply to
RonB

"Kyle" wrote in news:44fa15f4$0$10298$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net:

Nortel BCM or Asterisk are two that would do it.

Reply to
RonB

I agree here. If you are looking to replace your PBX and want to bring remote stations into the mix then Asterisk is the way to go.

Reply to
Ray Cassick (Home)

I don't have the info handy right at the moment but I know that ESI/IVX does make a VoIP phone that functions just like a phone that's hard wired to the KSU. Can't remember whether the C class supports that feature, or whether you'd have to move up a grade or two.

If I get a chance in the next couple of days I'll log into their web site and find out.

Take care, Rich

God bless the USA

Reply to
Rich Piehl

I've always thought the PBX folks were wasting a major opportunity.

They need to offer a FXO/FXS VOIP adapter that supported their station-side protocol; so that Jack & Jill Telecommuter could be at home, and see all the familiar lamps and indications, and have the one-button functions..

The only thing close is VOIPISDN adapters. Far too few PBX's offered BRI station ports...

Reply to
David Lesher

I was correct in my thinking. You have to go up to an IVX E class before it will support IP telephony. Here's the link to the info on the phone:

formatting link
Take care, Rich

god bless the USA

Reply to
Rich Piehl

Well, as one who has switched to Asterisk I can vouch for it working quite well.

We've got 7 incoming lines and around 30 stations. When I work from home I can directly dial an extension as if I were in the office and recieve calls transferred by the operator.

Reply to
Rod Dorman

I agree here. To me it is a no brainier. Just tunneling the protocol over IP.

Lets hops that Eicon feels the same way as you and I do. Intel never wanted to move into the end-to-end solution space. They only wanted to be building blocks.

Reply to
Ray Cassick (Home)

??? There are many PBXs that have VOIP capabilities for telecommuters, that start from the basic FXS output to their full desksets that talk IP instead of a wired connection back to the PBX.

Avaya, 3com, Inter-Tel & Cisco all do this quite well.

I have an Inter-Tel IP phone at home that is identical the one on my desk at work in all looks & functionality. I can bind buttons on it to watch status of an extension at work, or dial an extension and talk to a co-worker. Message-waiting indicators light up for voice-mail. etc. etc.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

I want Panasonic to do it....

Reply to
David Lesher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.