Multiple T1 Extension

Greetings,

I've spent a lot of time today looking into the proper way to extend a T1 circuit past the smartjack left by the telco but am left with a few questions. Before that, here's my situation:

There are 4 new T1 lines on smartjacks in the building telco closet. The routers that need to be plugged into the smartjacks are roughly 70 ft. away in a different area. Currently there are several cat5e runs between the two locations carrying ethernet and voice lines. These are currently somewhat messy and I wouldn't mind replacing them with a many pair cable. In the end, what I really need is 4 T1's, 4 100Mbit ethernet's, and 12 voice lines connecting the telco closet to my closet elsewhere. I'm in search of the best way to do it.

What I've come up with so far is that the *right* way to extend the T1's is via individually shielded twisted pair. What I don't see anyone talking about is where to buy it, or how to terminate and ground it. It also seems like LOTS of people are using cat5 for short runs (like mine) to do the same thing but keeping the tx and rx pairs in separate runs. Most of the people doing this seem to be of the mind to give it a shot and see if it works. Not having testing equipment or the knowledge of how to use it this seems like a bad plan in my situation.

What I'd really like to do (I think) is rip out all the old stuff and run some kind of 50 pair cable between the two locations with amphenol (or similar) connectors on each end that go into 110 blocks, or patch panels ... or both. I'm not sure if everything will play nice in one bundle though and it seems there are mixed feelings on this strategy in the newsgroups.

I guess my bottom line questions are what is normal practice in this situation, how likely is my plan to fail, and how would you do it differently?

Many thanks, Brad Hill

Reply to
brad
Loading thread data ...

Probably work OK. I have my t1's (about 10 of them) extended about 75 feet, using cat5e. Not only did I NOT keep the tx and rx pairs in seperate cables, but I have two t1s in each cable. No problems.

The ethernet might ineterfere, but I doubt it. If I had to bet money one way or the other, i'd bet yur plan will work fine.

Reply to
snertking

When & if you speak to Verizon sales representative, ask about procing on Vz's Flex-Grow product. Flex-Grow allows a customer to recieve both Internet service, via FDS1 scalable bandwidth, and local POTS lines served over a DS1 loop, and terminated into a Shark channel bank. The Shark hands off 2 wire traditional POTS, and a T1 containing the FDS1 (FT1) bandwidth carrying dedicated Internet bandwidth.

You need to find out in what 64KB/s channel increments the Internet bandwidth is offered. You may alos want to ask if Verizon if Flex-Grow is also supported with a CPE provided termination of the T1 loop instead ofthe Shark Channel bank.

One word to the wise though, should you go with Flex-Grow, consider having at least one working POTS line, or at least a cellphone, to call repair. With all your POTS line riding on a single T1, Potential disaster can lurk to mission critical communications links.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Snertking, thanks for the kind advice. Knowing what other people are doing in real world applications is priceless.

Bill, I have nothing to do with Verizon, I don't know why this is in this thread, mispost perhaps?

Reply to
brad

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.