Medium-sized phone system questions

We've got an old phone system we're looking to replace. I've had good experience with Panasonic in the past (D308 & D1232), so I'm looking at their offerings. We currently have 6 CO lines and

17 sets, so I was looking at the TA824 because it would provide room for growth over the next few years. Features we'd like are voice mail, outside notification, and AA. (AA would be only for after-hours.)

One question I have is about voice mail.

The 824 accepts an expansion card that, "provides basic voicemail service, with 2 ports, 24 mailboxes, 60 minutes recording time." But I'm concerned about two VM ports being enough (4 would be better.) Also, Ablecomm says that they don't recommend this card at all and, instead, suggest something like the TVA50 external VM cabinet. OK, except that they also say they do not recommend the TVA50 in anything more than the 2-port configuration on the TA824. So I'm still concerned about having only 2 ports for VM.

Should I scuttle this TA824 idea and look at something bigger like the TAW848, since the D1232 is now discontinued?

Should we look at other brands?

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks.

Reply to
Someone
Loading thread data ...

What phones do you have now? Are you spending an extra $2k on 17 new phones, or upgrading an existing phone system?

Two ports for 17 phones is not unreasonable, and yes, avoid the BVM. While you're avoiding, you might want to avoid the TA824 or TAW848 if you are buying new phones or trying to reuse old TD phones.

A TDA-50 fits comfortably in the 8x20 starter range and handles 4 VM ports, but the phones need to be digital. That's good, because a full fledged VM system requires 3 buttons for call handling and the more buttons you have the better.

It's also a possibility to get into a used TD-1232. I have one that is going to be 6 months old coming available in September. It's carded 12x24.

Lastly, you might look into other brands. The Inter-Tel EncoreCX, a Partner ACS, or even the NEC DS-2000 are pretty competitive if you have to buy all new phones.

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Yes, I forgot to mention that. This is an old Merlin system, so everything including the sets will be replaced.

I'd still like four VM ports because we get a fair number of calls.

Is that because of the VM limitation? We're getting new sets anyway no matter what we go with.

Good suggestion, and the TDA sets have lots of buttons!

Thanks. I'll look at them too.

Reply to
Someone

No, it's because the analog phones only have 12 worthwile buttons.

Yes. Make sure you get 7633 or 7636 sets so you can add the optional

12 button modules if you need them. 7630's won't work.
Reply to
Carl Navarro

Thanks for all the helpful advice, Carl. You're a real asset to the group! As for my situation, the TDA looks ideal. A couple of things bother me about it, neither of which is technical.

First, Panasonic tries to lock the distribution channel for this line ("sold exclusively by local Panasonic KX-TDA Certified Dealers.") Second, even if I get one and install it, Panasonic won't let me "activate" it. ("TDA50 must be installed by a local certified dealer, and activated remotely by Panasonic.")

Since bringing in an outside company to do this will instantly add well over

100% to the cost, I'll concentrate on other brands. Too bad.
Reply to
Someone

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.