Lingo VOIP - what ports must be open? (really!)

Esteemed Brethren o' this hallowed trade!

Methinks too much gets said betwixt us upon VOIP, alas without detail regarding which ports our most honourable ISPs truly must deem proper leaving for us at liberty to use.

If I, as it were, had a Lingo contraptioun, which ones, named by their very own numbers, would the aforesaid ports have to be?

And, of those, which ought to be open to inflowing parcels, and which to outbound?

Grateful, in confident expectation of your beaming wisdom, I remain.

Filippo Cattaneo

formatting link

(P.S.: If I use Lingo for VOIP, what f****ng incoming and outgoing ports should be left open by my ISP?)

Reply to
SpamHog
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
maybe that will help. - RM

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Quite a lot of them. When the phone boots up, it does a DHCP query to find out its IP address, unless you've configured it with a static IP, it does an NTP query to a time server run by Lingo, and it does an http query to another host presumably to pick up config info and updates.

The signalling to set up calls happens on port 5060, but when the call connects it switches to random-looking high numbered ports for the voice traffic. On my phone the port usually seems to be 13456 but the remote port can be anything.

Reply to
John R. Levine

Why does he talk like that?

Reply to
Slambram

It's after drinking a double Russian.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.