Lightning protector for telephone NID

Hi,

The LP here (inside garage screwed to a piece of plywood) is so old that it causes nothing but noise on the telephone line during high humidity conditions. This in turn causes my DSL internet connection to drop. Common problem with DSL, it's not very noise resilient. Spoke to Verizon (our telco) about it and up to now cannot confirm whose responsibility, in terms of cost, it is to have the LP replaced so I'm just going to do it myself. Please, no lectures on proper grounding etc., changing this thing is a piece of cake.

Problem is, can't find many places selling LPs. There's one here but it's looks so "el cheapo";

formatting link
Anybody know of places that sell these things in the US to non- contractors? I'm even thinking of just "buying" one off a Verizon service technician. The LPs they use look like the real deal.

Reply to
oparr
Loading thread data ...

Verizon should install a new NID, or replace it. Thats their responsblity, and the NID includes lightning protection, so the indoor one can be removed completely.

NID network interface device is box on outside of home.

Reply to
hallerb

while verizon is there ask them to install a central DSL filter, and either you or them run a dedicated line from filter to computer modem. ask for filter when calling so tech has it on truck, mine was free

no more phone filters, new line has low losses, and much more reliable.

this should end forver your issues.

old lines are a main cause of flakey DSL. i had these issues here, central filter and new dedicated line to computer ended that hassle for good:)

Reply to
hallerb

I just had that done by at&t an my DSL which had just upgraded from 3 to

6 went up to over 5 and is now holding, also it was great to get rid of those filters, the one on the wall phone was the worst.
Reply to
Steven Lichter

Yup- If it was me I'd run a 2 pair wire from the inside block to where I wanted the new one outside- then call them and make an appointment for a working box outside.

And if they balk, then call your Public Service Commission. Verizon screwed me around for years with a lousy cable pair that gets rotated between customers until they complain loudly enough. A call to the PSC got a response *within hours* from a supervisor who gave me his personal number.

Better yet they apparently were able to put a sensor and drier on the line because afterwards whenever the line got noisy- we could wait 5 minutes and it would be quiet again. [today we finally got rid of them altogether and went with TW digital phone]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Thanks all for the replies.

Well, this NID is only a piece of plywood with the lighting protector screwed to it using two wood screws. I called Verizon repair first. Oh yeah, I know the number by heart by now. They transferred me to somewhere else who then transferred me to customer service. The latter didn't even know what a LP was and said they would have to transfer me to, yes you guessed it, repair. All CS could tell me was that if I had their $6.00 per month "internal wiring protection plan" then it wouldn't cost anything. They even tried to sell me the option on the spot.

I'll >

Reply to
oparr

There is a good reason to NOT get them to replace it.

If they do, they want it outside. You don't.

If they do, they default into "It's your problem, and if we come out, we'll charge you unless you can prove it's ours [Fat Chance, buddy]" mode.

Reply to
David Lesher

Reply to
oparr

I don't expect you to understand the prvious paragraph, but it means if I ever fix the phoneline problem I have had for the last few years, I'll have a new problem because the phone line enters through the basement in stead of my office like now.

I didn't pay attention to hhow you do it, but since you have a full basement with unfinished ceilings in part of it, it's easier.

This is why I wrote: A reminder that this guy signed up for 6 and is happy to get over 5. There's probably a way to measure what yo're getting now. and it might not be 3.

It wobbled, right?

Reply to
mm

I don't know what you have that's causing the problem and needs repairing/replacing, but NID stands for Network Interface Device, and refers to a jack and a plug, or more than one. The jack is from the phone company, and the plug is from your house. That's what makes it an "interface". It's like your whole house, the entire phone system of the house, is plugged into a jack from the phone company.

They've been using these for 30 years or more. BEfore they had the plug/jack things they had a screw block where the wires from the phone company met the wires from the house. I think these were usually inside, but the newer nids are almost always outside.

Could there be a problem with terminology when talking to the various companies? Regarless, if all you need is the lightning thing, yes, do it yorusslef. I don't think the URL you gave loooks so cheap. It looks ok to me.

Did you call it an LP or a lightening protector. I've never heard of an LP either, except for 33 1/3.

Reply to
mm

At the interface it is 6, but even with the new direct cable there is a lose, besides I'm a the end of the mileage for DSL, at this point I have UVerse up the street, but I'm way to far for that at least until early next year. I am a COEI Installer, if you don't know what that is, a CO Installer, I install the hardware in the CO's and have done this for 40 years, so I have seen a lot of changes.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

If you actually get any useful help from Verizon please let us know how you did it. I fought with them for almost a year at my old place simply trying to get a functional phone line - new NID, new cable to pole, and they tried about three different pairs going back to wherever their switching station was, same result, every time it rained or got humid, tons of static on the line so that you could barely carry on a conversation and I couldn't even use dialup. Eventually my landlady upgraded to cable internet and I split the cost with her and we both dropped Verizon entirely - she was having problems on her line too that they also couldn't or wouldn't fix.

I also had issues at a previous place where Verizon sold my girlfriend DSL and then when it wasn't any faster than dialup and kept dropping and reconnecting their tech told her that she should have never been sold it in the first place because we were way too far from the switch.

And even years ago, when I first moved to this area, Verizon got something like a $400 deposit simply to turn on the phone service because they considered the credit "insufficient" of two people with jobs and good credit ratings...

In short, they're bastard coated bastards with bastard filling, and any sympathy I may have had for them due to all the people dropping their land lines and going all cellular due to the inevitable march of technology is offset by the way they've jerked me around over the years forcing me to do the same.

Finally, if you rewire, I believe current recommendation is to pull CAT6 for any new telephone jacks because DSL is so common. But I wouldn't bother, just do what I did and get a wireless router and cable modem.

nate

de quoted text -

Reply to
N8N

I will try again! Verizon should instal a NID outside where the phone line enters your home, it includes built in lightning protection, the old carbon pile thing witll be disconnected, they arent compatible with DSL, at this time try t get a whole house DSL filter, more speed no more individual phone fiters:)

the NID upgrade should be free:) it makes repairs easier for them and for you.

when you have a phone problem go outside, unplug your home, plug in a spare phone.

if it works then its something in your home

if it doesnt work its verizon.

clean simple free test.

imagine its something in your home:( Till you get it fixed run a cheap

25 foot extension to inside and connect a working phone. instant repair:)

the NID outside is better for everyone and can be locked if you want. I never bothered.

Reply to
hallerb

Yes, Verizon should install a new NID. But given the difficulty in dealing with Verizon, it may be less time for you to install your own they way you want it. Try:

formatting link
Be sure to ground it well AND make sure the ground is connected to the rest of the building and power grounds.

Reply to
M Q

Well, this NID is only a piece of plywood with the lighting protector screwed to it using two wood screws. I called Verizon repair first. Oh yeah, I know the number by heart by now. They transferred me to somewhere else who then transferred me to customer service. The latter didn't even know what a LP was and said they would have to transfer me to, yes you guessed it, repair. All CS could tell me was that if I had their $6.00 per month "internal wiring protection plan" then it wouldn't cost anything. They even tried to sell me the option on the spot.

So, sign up for their plan for a month and get it fixed.

Reply to
Bob F

Or check with your cable provider. I know Cox's inside wire maintenance program covered catv and phone, even if they didn't provide the phone. For $2 a month I had my whole place re-wired.

Reply to
T

Thanks for the link.

Reply to
oparr

Theres a verizon CEO office complaint number, a NID IS NOT that surge protector your talking about.

by chance are you using a different DSL provider reselling using verizons lines?

thatr would explain everything:(

have you called your tates PUPLIC UTILITY COMISSION?

That will get verizon to install a new NID outside where it belongs.

by chance do you not for whatever reason want a outdoor NID?

Reply to
hallerb

Here's one place to look;

formatting link

Reply to
Boden

Going back, I'm curious as to why you think it is the protector getting damp that causes the problem? Have you dried it out with a hair dryer or lamp, and had the noise disappear? You can actually remove the protectors from the block, but I don't advise it unless you are handy with tools..

If this is rain-caused, it's most likely bad cable at some place between you and the CO.

Actually, it's rather robust vs. voice; my DSL has stayed up while the POTS was unusable from a tip ground.

Reply to
David Lesher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.