Key phones won't power up with IPS416

I have three IPS416 PBXs (sold by NYTEL or BBS Telecom), and I recently purchased on EBay a single lot of used key telephones that were designed to work with the IPS systems. I've got several each of the IVT-16D and the BK-416EX.

Each of my IPS416s works flawlessly with my analog sets, but I cannot get any of the key sets to power up. I thought it might be my house wiring, so I tried plugging them directly into the IPS416, to no avail. The manual indicates that the black and yellow wires on the RJ14 should be crossed, i.e., the black wire from the switch should feed the yellow wire going to the keyset and vice versa, so I tried crossing them, again with no success.

I've tried every one of these phones, and they appear to be totally dead -- no lights, no nothing. In desperation, I've broken down and ordered a brand new IVT-16D to see if it works. Am I missing something obvious here, or did I just get suckered on this particular EBay purchase?

Thanks,

Bob

Reply to
PhysicsTeacher
Loading thread data ...

The new keyset didn't work either. Further troubleshooting identified two of the three IPS416s to be faulty. The keysets worked with the third IPS416. After testing the keysets with the first two IPS416s, I had not tested them with the third (and only good) IPS416, assuming that both of the IPS416s would not be faulty.

Bob

P.S. Special thanks to Brian of Lee Phones for his assistance with my troubleshooting. I highly recommend his organization.

Reply to
PhysicsTeacher

The new keyset didn't work either. Further troubleshooting identified two of the three IPS416s to be faulty. The keysets worked with the third IPS416. After testing the keysets with the first two IPS416s, I had not tested them with the third (and only good) IPS416, assuming that both of the IPS416s would not be faulty.

Bob

P.S. Special thanks to Brian of Lee Phones for his assistance with my troubleshooting. I highly recommend his organization.

Reply to
PhysicsTeacher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.