IP over SS7 inquiry

Hey all, can any one please tell me if it is possible to transport IP over ss7 protocol TDM links? and how to do that if it is possible. thanks

Reply to
aqlawi
Loading thread data ...

Why do you want to do this ?

Reply to
Justa Lurker

I'm wondering too since SS7 is a signalling protocol for the most part. Oh it does other things like lookups, but it's all a proprietary setup.

Reply to
T

Yes.....I'm wondering if he is looking for answer to a homework problem or take-home exam/project of some kind. It seems to fit that paradigm based on several clues.

If it is a legitimate request, then more details will be helpful in responding.

Reply to
Justa Lurker

It's actually just another packet protocol, similar to IP. There is no reason it could not be tunneled.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

looool no its not about a home work, am a core network team leader for a foriegn company in my country and we have problems in transmision lines, we have the new 3GCN ALL IP CDMA network to be built and am responsible for it, in this network we have the MGW connected to the MSCe throuth the transmision lines which are bad as i said so i want to create a backup system ( i thought to use for example VPN for the connection between the MGW and the MSCe through the internet) and am looking if i can solve the problem by routing the packetes through the current switchs available but as u know these switch carries TDM lines with SS7 potocols, so if i can encapsolate the IP packets in the SS7 msg then it would be perfect for me.

i hope this can explains

Reply to
lawey

I think you have bigger fish to fry them trying to tunnel or piggyback IP onto SS7!!! I don't believe there is anyone in the universe that is doing what you want to do. SS7 over IP...now that a different story....

Reply to
rayj00

Thanks for further details.

If I understand what you are trying to do, you want an alternate path for the H.248 MGCP IP traffic between the MGW and MSCe due to some transmission problems. You are asking about somehow encapsulating those IP packets into SS7 and using the more reliable SS7 network to deliver it.

Well, there a lot of work has been done on transporting SS7 over IP links, but it sounds like you want the opposite :-) I notice you also asked about this on the Ethereal development forum with no replies.

While I suppose it is conceptually possible to do the necessary interworking in order to carry an IP packet as a Q.77x TCAP message and get it to its proper destination, I'm not aware of any off-the-shelf implementation for this purpose.

I think you're much better off spending your time & energy getting your circuits between the MGW and MSCe fixed up somehow.

It does sound like your the 56 kbps (or 64 kbps) signalling links are more reliable than your IP network. Here's a thought, maybe you can skip all the SS7 stuff and just get access to a couple of unused or spare links which you can then connect to serial ports on your IP routers at each site. Run HDLC or PPP or whatever on these links, and then just cost them appropriately so that the traffic uses them whenever there is a problem on the original IP network.

Does that match up with what you are asking, or did I misunderstand what you wrote ?

Reply to
Justa Lurker

SS7 can be carried over IP using the SIGTRAN stack. The following link offers more details:

formatting link
-- EventStudio 4.0 -
formatting link
System Design and Call Flow Modeling Tool

Reply to
EventHelix.com

The OP's network may have X.25 or Frame Relay capability, and many devices can route IP or PPP traffic over those.

If your switch can do ISDN, you can dial a 64K data connection, or use X.25.

------------------------ Hank Karl Eastern Regional Manager Contact me at

formatting link
-- use the eastern region adress

Representing:

formatting link
CompactSIP, ISDN, T1 RBS, E1 R2 CAS, Frame Relay, ML-PPP, X.25, ...
formatting link
elemedia(tm) H.323, Video Codecs, and Audio Codecs

Reply to
Hank Karl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.