How Do You Go From Centrex To PBX For A Hospital Application?

You have a hosptital with 1000+ Centrex Lines, looking at moving to your own PBX. It's the same old story, new management, fired the telecom manager, handed the phone system to IT, no additional bodies, and now you are suppose to replace it. So what do you do?

This article helps explain:

formatting link
?&id=468963 God Bless, Michael Lemm FreedomFire Communications "Helping YOUR Business....DO Business"
formatting link

Reply to
FreedomFireCom
Loading thread data ...

Well, Michael, it sounds like you're being set up to be the next guy to be fired!

If you don't have the skill and knowledge in-house to understand the applications and technology behind Voice Services you should probably leave well enough alone. Especially at a hospital, where telephone service is more than a nice thing to have! And you might think about getting your resume up to date!

Many IT people get sucked into a spiral of death because they think they can easily deal with a simple technical problem or project. But it rarely works so easily. I'd hire someone who has a good background in telephony - either as an FTE or a contractor!

Good luck!

Al

formatting link
?&id=468963>

Reply to
Al Gillis

Al, buddy. You must have read the subject and fired off a reply. Michael didn't do anything of the sort. He's trying to convince us to abandon traditional PBX technology for the highly proven Voip technology he's promoting. All that in a mission critical application as a hospital.

It's a thread that didn't deserve a response and now he has two :-)

Carl Navarro

>
Reply to
Carl Navarro

Funny you should say that about I.T. folks. I'm primarily an I.T. guy but very knowledgable about telephony. I've got quite a few years experience on AT&T and Samsung systems from Partner to Definity on AT&T and mostly DCS on Samsung. I know what the pointy side of the 110 punch down tool is for, know the color codes for fifty pair, and even know how to correctly terminate CAT-5 cable.

But when I try to teach this skill to co-workers I get met with blank stares. A phone switch is nothing but a switching matrix attached to a computer. You'd think I.T. folks would be all over that.

Reply to
T

I'm trying to recall the name of an author and his book, whom I read some 23 years ago -- said in his book on I.T. or programming that a programmer is a most genius person in this world, but (s)he should be a programmer.

The AT&T knew it, that's why they were the first to deploy powers of computing, knowledge and, or skills of top I.T. persons for their telecom business.

Reply to
Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.