Help! How to Call from A to B to C ?

Assuming you could even technically do this you would likely run afoul of your state or jurisdiction as you would be making point B a switching center for which you do not have a tarriff and would be circumventing the local telco's tarriffs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Reply to
Joseph
Loading thread data ...

A PBX comes to mind, one with DISA (direct inward system access) and account codes to authorize and control it all. Since you only seem interested in toll bypass, you would want to block any toll calls. There's plenty of other reasons for blocking toll, we just won't go into them here. Also by "blocking" toll calls you'll be able to use simple, 4-digit account codes, without fear of toll fraud. Open it up and "allow" toll calls and you'll need 14~20 digit-length account codes to protect your investment.

As for provisioning with "lines" I think you'll find that bridging incoming and outgoing copper POTS lines together will result in a lot of complaints about poor levels and problems faxing and modeming. Best to use digital trunks in and outbound. ISDN PRI trunks come to mind.

You can pick up something like a used bare-bones Mitel SX-2000 MicroLight (single cabinet) digital PBX and throw a Dual PRI formatter card in it prolly for less than $2k total. Software load revision really wouldn't matter as long as the feature options are there for PRI. With option MSA-A-35 (flex dimensions) you could handle as many as 10,000 account codes.

Reply to
wdg

Hi,

I'm currently working on a venture possibility in my small town that is an hour away from a Major City.

Placing call to that major city(town A) is a long distance from my town(town B). But a town in between(town C) is not a long distance for both ends.

People would call from town A to town C and reach town B without any additional charge besides the monthly charge from the services of my own company.

That software would have to accept 2 set of entry from the clients touch tone phone: first entry would be some unique client code and the second entry would be the 10 digits phone number to town B.

From there the call would be made allowing a bridge to be made between the 2 intended cities.

I was wondering if anyone knows what it would require technically to achieve such thing. I don't even know how many incomming line would be required for this project.

Hope anyone can help.

remove _nospam from the email address to reach me.

Marc.

Reply to
M. Henri

You can order a Foreign Exchange number in Town C and have it ring in Town B. I have no idea what these costs and if it is worth it or if you would need a certain volume of calls just to break even. The caller would not know the difference.

Brad Houser

Reply to
Brad Houser

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Though, this seems much more complicated then i first thought it would be. I thought something that resembles a call center would be just fine. A call center that is managed by server and softwares with databases.

nothing like that exists ?

Reply to
M. Henri

I'm not sure what all the complicated stuff is for. But for years we had a phone line installed up to but not into a residence on the L.A.-Orange County border. Our BBS was well inside OC, and users in L.A. could call this number and be call forwarded to the OC BBS, thereby saving toll charges. I don't see why this wouldn't work. Obviously there is nothing to prevent anyone from using it, given they know the number. But that could be changed periodically if it becomes abused.

wouldn't

account

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

We had FX lines on our centrex, and the charges were an _additional_ $30 to $35 a month (depending on distance) on top of the regular monthly charge. This is _not_ cheap, unless you consider that it will save you much more than that in toll charges.

Oh, BTW, the cities were adjacent to each other, some were in the same city. So in your case if the distance is even greater, the charges would be even more.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

I did the exact same thing here in RI. The BBS was located in East Greenwich but callers in Pawtucket paid a toll to access it. I live in North Providence at the time in a section that had a Providence rate center number.

I dropped a line in and put call forward on it. Even when the line was busy, calls would forward and I got an extra line for my dial-up connections. Worked out great for a few years.

Reply to
Tony P.

You mean if it forwards the call the line does not remain in use? Fascinating! Would it be true for VoIP lines too do you suppose? - RM

Reply to
Rick Merrill

In other words, the forwarding just passes the call to the remote location. That's why it worked even when I was using the phone line.

Phone companies have lots of loopholes regarding intra-lata toll but they won't tell you about them. You have to discover them on your own.

Tony

Reply to
Tony P.

How well this works may depend on the flavor of call-forwarding that you have. Some will only forward one call at a time. Some will forward more than one call, but until the first one supervises (is answered) it will give a busy to any more, then it will take another. Some switches can be programmed on how many calls it will forward concurrently.

Reply to
Gary Breuckman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.