firmware download problems Avaya 2420 telephone

Hi, all, Okay this will be a strange one.

I am hoping there is some way to disable the function on the 2420 telephone set that makes it try to download updated firmware.

Why would I want to do this?

I am running an unsupported arrangement: I have 2420 telephones extended from a PBX via MCK IP Extenders.

Usually works fine, BUT somehow one or more phones try - for reasons unknown to me - to download new firmware, then the MCK ports get locked up, and the only way to 'fix' it is to plug a known good 2420 directly into the PBX.

Here's the catch: the PBX in *not* a Definity or ACM; it is an Avaya IP Office.

The MCK Extenders shouldn't care - they don't really talk to the PBX, just the telphone and the PBX digital station port. I guess, though, that on a Definity the port handles the firmware download, and the MCK isn't getting what it expects from the port.

To avoid this, I would like to somehow AVOID having the sets auto-update.

I know this is a longshot, but any ideas would be appreciated.

- Sam Hodgeman

Reply to
SamH
Loading thread data ...

Sam,

To my knowledge all Avaya digital phones require this download when, periodic background maintainance routines are performed which you can't touch or a parameter in the system is changed that materially affect the phone. Long and the short of it every now and then it will try to do the parameter download. Have you considered using IP phones, 46xx series (largely private network viable) or even IPSoftphone. I use Softphone from home 2Mb, over a VPN, through firewalls etc. It is not complete toll quality but very useable.

Reply to
ivan greaves

I am off this week, but I believe that it can be turned of in the Avaya bcms on a phone by phone basis.

Reply to
Ted

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.