Drop To Garage

Will sbc, now at&t install two drops for one line, one to the garage, and one to the house, if there are network interfaces in both locations?

Reply to
warrenshudson
Loading thread data ...

I will call them and ask for you

Reply to
GHTROUT

Please explain more about your question I will try to help you as much as posible. You have two lines installed by At&t and one service?

------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via

formatting link
access to your favorite newsgroup - comp.dcom.telecom.tech - 1909 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
avcomdesign

There is one line, 248-932-xxxx. This number goes to two network interfaces, one on my house, and one on my detached garage. Years ago, when I switched to talk america, I was told that under no circumstances would they allow 2 network interfaces to be fed from one line, creating what they called an "off-premises extension". They claimed bell (ameritech, now sbc, now at&t) would not allow them to have an off premise extension, so they cut the drop wire right off the network interface at the garage, and said "too bad". I am now wondering what the probability is that sbc will re-connect the garage and house back to the same line when I get local dialtone with them. Thanks

Reply to
warrenshudson

If there's a problem having them do that, consider one of those cordless phones with two handsets, and put one in the garage.

Added advantage, when you're out in the back yard you can take the phone out to where you are.

Probably would cost less than what they will charge to do the dual drop.

-- Gary Breuckman

Reply to
Gary Breuckman

So they cut your line off? As a telecom expert I would have just hooked it back up and said "if I pay for the service it is up to me how I use it". It is still a building on your property and you are just paying for the service to be hooked up not managed. The straight way to do this is ask if they can hook the line back in or splice the line. If they can't do this I would hook it up myself. This is a very easy process and I can help walk you through the color codes and what materials or tools you would need.

Ask them if they will hook it back up since they cut it and you are just asking for dial tone to garage. Most likely they will not have a problem with it.

formatting link
access to your favorite newsgroup - comp.dcom.telecom.tech - 1920 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
avcomdesign

They actually cut the drop wire, at the nid and the pole. I can connect the wires and do telephone wiring, but I cant climb the pole safely and easily obtain drop wire and drop wire hardware.

Reply to
warrenshudson

They should fix that for you and splice it back together.

formatting link
access to your favorite newsgroup - comp.dcom.telecom.tech - 1925 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
avcomdesign

Having mentioned being an expert, I wonder if I may interest to ask you about PBX POTS hook-up. Specifically I'm trying to integrate a school Intercom system with internal telephone communication capability with a PBX system so that PBX phones can access our system and viceversa. The intercom system has an telephone interface card that needs a dial tone from the PBX so that the intercom user can dial a PBX extension or access an outside line. In reverse the intercom system has a station port that could provide a dial tone for a PBX user if it wanted to call a phone extension, make a page or make media command to the intercom system. From the point of view of the PBX is there specific name attached to each line I described so that I would get the service I want at the end? Also my job is to troubleshoot all sort of line problems with the system - from total open to intermittent phone operation due to noise. I heard about this telco Sidekick 7B line tester that telco techs use on 48V telco standard system where the earth ground is higher than the line pair. Our standard is 10V across the pair . However, the low side is almost the earth ground at 0V. Would the Sidekick be safe and effective to use in my system? Thank you.

Will appreciate other experts out there who might share their thoughts in the same issue? My thanks also.

Reply to
saintlablast

This is almost too easy :-)

The part that needs dial tone is a TRUNK or LINE on the intercom system and it wires to an analog STATION or extension on the PBX. The part that provides dialtone is a STATION and it connects to a PBX TRUNK or Key System LINE.

In about 25 years of Interconnect, I have never used a "Sidekick" test set, but then again I know how to use a meter, toner, cable tester, and Transmission test set. Since most of your drops will be 500 feet or less, I would guess that a Sidekick would be pretty useless in working with such short distances, you don't run into many Load Coils LOL.

Save the $600+ or so, and use it to buy a good 701K tone and probe, a digital VOM, and if you're really adventurous, grab a Test-Um LanRoverPRO or a Fluke MicroScannerPRO. You'll get a lot more use out of those items.

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.