Dialogic Cards Causing ISDN Channel Lockout?

I am getting a situation where my ISDN Channels are lockedout. When I report to BT that my contact centre equipment is reporting an ISDN error (status 44), BT run their 'robot' diagnostics and no error is detected. However, when I talk to a BT engineer they notice that the robot has reset a number of lockedout channels. My equipment then starts to work properly again.

I am using a Wintel Contact Centre Solution from a company called Vocalcom. This system uses Intel Dialogic Boards for its telephony (PCI DMV600A2E1). From what I understand, BT locksout channels when their equipment thinks it has detected an error in the connected equipment. The strange thing is that this does not happen to all channels at once. I am losing some channels, but others are continuing to work.

Does anyone understand what is meant by channel lockout and how it works?

Has anyone come across similar problems with Dialogic cards?

Thanks,

Andy

Reply to
AndyPassey
Loading thread data ...

Have you verified that your equipment and BT's are looking for the same line coding and frame formatting? For example, here is the U.S. my telco is sending B8ZS line coding and ESF frame formatting. So if my equipment isn't working with the same then there are issues. And since telco doesn't like alarms sitting there for an extended amount of time the circuit is placed out of service on their end to stop the alarming.

Is this Vocalcom product recently introduced? Or was it working for awhile and mysteriously stopped working with the telco circuit?

Reply to
gregarican

I had a discussion with BT about this. All my ISDN PRIs are to the ETSI standard. BT didn't believe this was the problem as: the system has been working and this is only happening occasionally and it is only some of the channels that are getting locked out. BT thought that it sounded like a 'Layer 3 problem', perhaps caused by:

- not taking the timing synchronisation from the BT Network

- a clock slippage problem.

I will get the first issue checked. However, for the 2nd issue apparently they would need to do a Trend test with equipment that supports 'parts per million' testing. I don't quite know what is involved here, but I am assuming they measure the clock slippage over a period to check that it is within bounds.

gregarican wrote:

Reply to
AndyPassey

Your local side should have some configuration setting for clocking source. If it is set to remote then that assumes telco provides the clocking. If it set to Local then it assumes that telco isn't providing the clocking. Perhaps that's something to check. If everything appears to be correct, which sounds as if your equipment should be looking for remote clocking that BT provides, then perhaps it's a quality of service issue on BT's end somewhere. In that case to prove your point it would help to sit on the circuit and passively monitor it for errors...

Reply to
gregarican

I have checked and the Dialogic cards have been set to take their clocking from a remote source. However, the Dialogic cards are also attached to some IP Gateways. It occurs to me that the IP Gateways should also be set to take their clocking from a remote source. I will get that checked.

When you talk about passively monitoring it, do you mean doing a Trend test?

Reply to
AndyPassey

I am not sure what a Trend test is. I was meaning CSU-type testing, which would indicate stats like Error Seconds, Bursty Errored Seconds, Path Code Violations, Line Code Violations, Controlled Slip Seconds, etc. Is your circuit coming in from BT via a T1/E1? If so how does the circuit come into your equipment? Is there a CSU that BT provides that you can plug into? Does the circuit come into some of your equipment that you can use to monitor things? It sounds as if the Trend test might be that latter option...

Reply to
gregarican

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.