Clicking on dial tone

A year ago I cut my Verizon service to bare minimum (no regional or long distance) plus fixed line forwarding to my cellular. Since I only use it for modem, anyway. It initially started giving me some clicking when I picked up the phone. It was a nuisance, not a problem. Over the summer it went way. Now it goes on for tens of clicks, causing me to need to keep redialing. I am afraid to complain becuase it took enough of a hassle to get my current setup. Plus when I tried to get DSL, they gave me all sorts of silly stories. Then they got it to work Then it rained and I got crosstalk and some elderly operator made it worse. I paid for a year DSL but never got anything. So I learned not to talk to them.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

formatting link
---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at
Loading thread data ...

Does this happen at the interface also ? First determine if the problem is inside or outside.

Reply to
Terry

The clicking occurs on all lines.

The first time I pick up the phone, I get like a hundred clicks. By the second or third pickup, I get only like five, in which case I can finally dial. The last click sounds more electronic (ie, like a beep) which shows it is not a pulse.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

formatting link
---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

This sounds like a pair gain system line card going bad. Good luck.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Have you called VZ repair service?

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

Complain, keep complaining. File PSC complaints.

A friend has rotten outside plant, all 41,000 feet of it. Bad crosstalk and repeated outages. But they are there within 24H because of his PSC reports...

Reply to
David Lesher

Is there a way to temprarily turn off fixed line forwarding just during the computer dialup? Like an asterisk code? I'm thinking this might be a kludge. But supposedly fixed line forwarding (ie, rollover, which is free) should not be changeable.

It has gotten slightly better. Now it takes me two calls to dial out, when it took five a few days ago. From about April until September the problem wasn't there. When I minimised my service it was doing it for about a month.

(SOAPBOX ON)

The number one reason I want to leave NY is Verizon. about four years ago, they cut my line while installing a neighbors' line (twice in sfourteen months). When they notified me DSL was working and was their fault, after insisting they had to charge me to come fix my lines, I got crosstalk during a storm and the operator turned off my DSL. I ended up paying for DSL for a full year without using it. Finally I decided to get minimal service (plus fixed line forwarding to my cell after five rings). Then I got these idiot collection agencies, who keep calling despite the attorney general telling them I wasn't the guy they think. Apparently they can't fathom that about a million unrelated people worldwide have my surname. So I have no voice mail, period. Y'know it's things like this that make me quietly enjoy what is happening on Wall St - this is the kind of prozacked brain bovine behavior these subrime borrowers have been exhibiting for years.

(SOAPBOX OFF)

formatting link

Reply to
vjp2.at

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.