Cell2Tel Bluetooth RJ11 gateway

Has anyone had any experience with this? I recently bought one and connected a 2500 set. Polarity was wrong but I guess nobody worries about that anymore. Ring test actually made the bell sound which seemed encouraging. Unfortunately, while it worked for outgoing calls it seemed to lose its association with my cell phone when an incoming call arrived. It turned out that what was actually happening was that the Cell2Tel was trying to ring the 2500 set and crashing/rebooting in the attempt. If I disconnect the ringer I can answer blind just fine.

I retried the original ring test and it no longer works; the device again crashes in the attempt. I conclude that the ring voltage generator can't deal with a real load and/or was damaged. When it tries to drive the bell it loads the power supply and causes the cpu to reset. (I tried a different wall wart in case it was that simple but no luck.) Customer support isn't very helpful, not responding as to whether they have ever tested with a real mechanical ringer. I can send the unit in for them to "look at" but I have a feeling it might just be a waste of postage (not to mention making it impossible to return to the place of purchase).

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani
Loading thread data ...

FWIW, I tried ringing a 500 set on a Linksys PAP2; it doesn't ring but at least the ATA didn't crash ;)

Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be ringer equiv. data for a lot of these accessories.

Michael

Reply to
msg

In article , msg@_cybertheque.org_ (msg) writes: | Dan Lanciani wrote: | | > Has anyone had any experience with this? I recently bought one and | > connected a 2500 set. Polarity was wrong but I guess nobody worries | > about that anymore. Ring test actually made the bell sound which | > seemed encouraging. Unfortunately, while it worked for outgoing calls | > it seemed to lose its association with my cell phone when an incoming | > call arrived. It turned out that what was actually happening was that | > the Cell2Tel was trying to ring the 2500 set and crashing/rebooting in | > the attempt. If I disconnect the ringer I can answer blind just fine. | > | > I retried the original ring test and it no longer works; the device | > again crashes in the attempt. I conclude that the ring voltage | > generator can't deal with a real load and/or was damaged. When | > it tries to drive the bell it loads the power supply and causes | > the cpu to reset. (I tried a different wall wart in case it was | > that simple but no luck.) Customer support isn't very helpful, | > not responding as to whether they have ever tested with a real | > mechanical ringer. I can send the unit in for them to "look at" | > but I have a feeling it might just be a waste of postage (not | > to mention making it impossible to return to the place of purchase). | > | > Dan Lanciani | > ddl@danlan.*com | | FWIW, I tried ringing a 500 set on a Linksys PAP2; it doesn't ring | but at least the ATA didn't crash ;) | | Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be ringer equiv. data for a lot | of these accessories.

Indeed, even the FXS ports on my Cisco (I've tried NM-HDA, VIC-4FXS/DID, and VIC2-2FXS) will not ring a 2500 set. I think the main problem is that the lowest supported ring frequency is 25Hz--at least on 3600 series routers. An SPA-3000, on the other hand, did work after I lowered the frequency to

20Hz from the 25Hz default. (Raising the voltage also worked though less well.) I wonder why 25Hz is so common.

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

I wonder if a 2500 needs more *voltage* than ATAs, routers, etc can provide ?? Some interesting reading here re issues with ringing freq, volts, and waveforms even

formatting link

Reply to
Reed

In article , snipped-for-privacy@rmi.net (Reed) writes: | Dan Lanciani wrote: | > In article , msg@_cybertheque.org_ (msg) writes: | > | Dan Lanciani wrote: | > | | > | > Has anyone had any experience with this? I recently bought one and | > | > connected a 2500 set. Polarity was wrong but I guess nobody worries | > | > about that anymore. Ring test actually made the bell sound which | > | > seemed encouraging. Unfortunately, while it worked for outgoing calls | > | > it seemed to lose its association with my cell phone when an incoming | > | > call arrived. It turned out that what was actually happening was that | > | > the Cell2Tel was trying to ring the 2500 set and crashing/rebooting in | > | > the attempt. If I disconnect the ringer I can answer blind just fine. | > | > | > | > I retried the original ring test and it no longer works; the device | > | > again crashes in the attempt. I conclude that the ring voltage | > | > generator can't deal with a real load and/or was damaged. When | > | > it tries to drive the bell it loads the power supply and causes | > | > the cpu to reset. (I tried a different wall wart in case it was | > | > that simple but no luck.) Customer support isn't very helpful, | > | > not responding as to whether they have ever tested with a real | > | > mechanical ringer. I can send the unit in for them to "look at" | > | > but I have a feeling it might just be a waste of postage (not | > | > to mention making it impossible to return to the place of purchase). | > | > | > | > Dan Lanciani | > | > ddl@danlan.*com | > | | > | FWIW, I tried ringing a 500 set on a Linksys PAP2; it doesn't ring | > | but at least the ATA didn't crash ;) | > | | > | Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be ringer equiv. data for a lot | > | of these accessories. | > | > Indeed, even the FXS ports on my Cisco (I've tried NM-HDA, VIC-4FXS/DID, | > and VIC2-2FXS) will not ring a 2500 set. I think the main problem is that | > the lowest supported ring frequency is 25Hz--at least on 3600 series routers. | > An SPA-3000, on the other hand, did work after I lowered the frequency to | > 20Hz from the 25Hz default. (Raising the voltage also worked though less | > well.) I wonder why 25Hz is so common. | > | > Dan Lanciani | > ddl@danlan.*com | I wonder if a 2500 needs more *voltage* than ATAs, routers, etc can | provide ??

At 25Hz the sample I was using needed ~120v to ring, so in a sense, yes. At 20Hz the phone is happy with ~80v.

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

The 2500 ringer is tuned to 20hz.

Reply to
Terry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.