Caller ID

Hello all,

I was working on a security panel today and the following is what happened.

On the speaker of the butt set just before the 1st ring a small buzz click was heard and then after the first ring a carrier tone is heard for about 1 second and then a pause and then the next ring. Nothing else is heard except for normal rings after that.

It is as if another modem or panel is on the line and connecting on the first ring but not answering the call.

Has anyone experienced anything like this and/or what the blazes is it or could it be????????? I ran out of time to investigate it further on site with voltages, current, etc. but it seems very strange. Any thoughts from the masses would be welcome.

I have been told that this is normal CID. My question, is it???

TIA

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1
Loading thread data ...

It's been a while since I monitored a CID line, but that sounds like what you are hearing.

I order for a device to start communicating it would need to close the loop so that the network knew to stop sending ringback tone to the calling part and let the intelligence go through.

Cheers!

Reply to
Dan J. Rudiak

I think you're right. Here in the UK I was always taught that we did not use the Bellore CLID standard, but we use one that uses a line reversal followed by a squirt of FSK before the 1st ring.

However the Bellcore system (US and Canada a mnay other places) sends the data between 1st and 2nd rings.

There's a very through webpage here:

Reply to
David Quinton

Reply to
Rod H

Oh... well you didn't let us know you were from across the pond... that's a whole "ruddy" different situation...

LOL

Dan.

"David Quinton" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Dan J. Rudiak

I'm not the original poster. "godammit"

Reply to
David Quinton

Well me being the OP it is my opinion that no matter where you are you will always be on the other side of the pond from somebody.

FWIW today I determined that what I was hearing was in fact the CLID on the line. Just never heard it before so it sounded strange so that induced the flags.

Thanks for the input and the help.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

Sounds like Caller-ID to me. One time I had my butt set hooked up to my VoIP setup. Every so many seconds I'd hear a quick little FSK burst. It turns out the VoIP ATA sends it as a voicemail waiting signal.

Reply to
T

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.