call waiting response

Suppose I (with call waiting) am on the phone speaking to person A.

Person B calls me. Person B gets ringback and I get CW beeps.

If I ignore the CW beeps, person B gets RNA (Ring No Answer) until they give up.

Is this the proper result or should Person B's ringback change to busy after some interval? Or does this depend on the switch type?

Telcodata shows the switch as CLLI: NFMYFLXBRS0 but does not show the type of switch. The LEC is Embarq.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg
Loading thread data ...

Everytime I've made such a call I get RNA. In the old days that went on just this side of forever; nowadays I bump into a general timeout after a couple of minutes.

Reply to
danny burstein

If person B calls you, and you are _not_ on the phone, Person B gets ringback, and your phone rings.

If you ignore the ringing, person B continues to get ring until they give up.

Is _this_ the proper result,or should Person B's ringback change to busy after some interval? Or does this depend on the switch type?

Answer my questions, and you'll have the answers to yours.

Note: AFAIK, the -called- switch never 'arbitrarily' changes the call status. The *originating* switch _may_ decide an unanswered all is 'unproductive' and 'forcibly terminate' the call. I suspect it's a simple matter of feature programming.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

The switch that handles my AT&T mobile phone does. I don't have voice mail so it rings for a while and eventually goes to an AT&T recording saying that the customer isn't there.

Reply to
John L

Which is not changing the call status, but just re-directing the call -- to wit, "Call Forward No Answer" -- to a generic intercept (without SIT tones). so that the caller doesn't get billed.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.