broadband routing

A newb, studying a bit about routing.

Specifically, I'm wondering how say, a given resident's router connects to the rest of the network. Does it go through a neighbor's say, or does it connect in one hop to a "company" router, and then say to other company routers (or not) before, if necessary, hitting another network's router. Does traffic exiting my router just go straight to the ISP's offices downtown (or where ever)?

thanks in advance,

Stan

** Posted from
formatting link
Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Based on some more reading, I'm guessing a given customer's router is "internal", does not communicate with other customers' routers.

Stanly J. Skimhopper

** Posted from
formatting link
Reply to

A router or gateway, see

formatting link
though howsoever small and, or limited it may be in features and, or functionality, simply makes it possible for host(s) on one network talk to the host(s) on other network. Whereas, a network may have more than one router and router may connect more than two networks.

A routers may have and, or perform default, static and, or dynamic routes and can discover and talk to other routers with the help of routing protocols, see

formatting link

Reply to
Balwinder S Dheeman

Thanks. I've found a pretty good resource in:

formatting link
as well. The author disallows using something like wget to download the site though. But, it appears to be good material.

Stan

** Posted from
formatting link
Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.