Best "butt" set?

I'm looking to buy a new (new to me, that is...) test set for POTS work. I like the TS44 Deluxe with its data protection feature and speakerphone, but I seem to see more TS22's in use (mostly by the telco techs).

Comparison charts are quite common:

formatting link
but I'd like to know why tech like one model or another.

What's your favorite, and what do you like about it?

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC
Loading thread data ...

The tech who work for the telephone companies get what is issued by the company, that is unless they want to buy their own

Reply to
Steven Lichter

After 20 years of using a Walker test set, I sucked it up and bought a TS-22A. As it was pointed out to me, I had spent about $300 in butt-sets in the last 5 years when the Walkers failed. My 22 cost about $230 and I LOVE it!!!

The amplified speaker is very handy when you get put on ignore...only drawback is you have to turn it off to resume your conversation.

I've had mine for about a year.

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

One issue I have with the TS-22 is that if you let the 9v battery run down, there is an internal lithium battery that also runs down, and when that happens, the whole thing stops working. The internal battery is a PITA to replace.. you have to strip off the waterproof coating, and unsolder it, which leaves you without the waterproofing. It's a fairly standard button cell, except with solder tabs..

For POTS work, I like my TS-21.. I also have a old Western Electric rotary dial set that I got from a PacBell tech about 22 years ago. (it was a thank you gift for helping him with a difficult cable pull at my high school.)

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

I love my ts22.

I wouldn't recommend the "datasafe" models though. I had one for a little bit and the trade off is that you can't get tone on some low power/long run lines. Lots of issues with ground start lines as well.

Just my .02 worth anyway.... ;-)

Scotty

Reply to
Scott Nelson - Wash DC

I have a used TS-22 that I love. Nice rugged unit, has the features I need for dealing with analog trunks, and decent quality. Paid $60 for it on Ebay.

Reply to
T

I have a similar model TS22 except w/3 leads for use on GS lines. IMO a must have if you're going to be doing any PBX trunk work. Bought it

20-some years ago new, paid $218 from Specialized Products in Dallas. Wouldn't think of parting with it, will prolly take it to my grave.
Reply to
wdg

Make sure the local company leaves an E-911 only loop nearby, just in case.

Reply to
T

Prolly not close 'nuff if they call Dig-Tess before digging yer grave. [snicker]

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.