Anyone running Asterisk with Dialogic?

Is there anybody out there who has experience running Asterisk with Dialogic boards?

BTW: The only Dialogic boards supported by Asterisk (because they have a similar design philosophy as the Digium/Zaptel) as those of the JCT family.

TIA,

-Ramon F Herrera

Reply to
Ramon F Herrera
Loading thread data ...

Somebody in this NG gave me this URL, which should be always kept around:

formatting link
Apparently, the non-JCT Dialogic cards are half duplex only, and therefore incompatible with Asterisk. But I would like to hear that from someone who really knows what he's talking about.

Another unsubstantiated posting said that the Dialogic drivers for Astersisk are not free. I read something about a $15/channel fee.

Somehow I refuse to believe that the biggest producer of voice boards, the ones that hold a virtual monopoly, a wholy owned Intel subsidiary is going to rest in its laurels and let Digium take over the market, simply because they are the Asterisk creators.

-Ramon

Reply to
Ramon F Herrera

I tried setting up Asterisk with a Dialogic card . It was a D/41D, and I spent three days messing with it, hoping that if it worked I could move up to a D/42D-SL. Now I find out from this post that they won't work anyway.

Reply to
Go OSU Pokes

Well, Thats what Intel does though, Aculab will be releasing an Asterisk board soon and im sure others soon will. Remeber the boards from digium are based on the Zapata project, Clone TDM400s are avalible from China I believe

Ian

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Don't think it is a per-channel (at least in my local catalog SR6 has a fixed priced that translates in a few hundred dollars), but the drivers are certainly not free. See

formatting link
and look at the 'Intel Policy' small-print.

That is what red tape does to a smaller company :)

Reply to
Jack Masters

It happened before. In the 1990s the Internet hammered all the other data networks that didn't see it coming. In the 1980s the peecees hammered the minicomputers.

Even back a hundred years ago International Harvester clung to steam harvesters, and got hammered. Never trust a corporate monopoly to behave rationally.

After nearly 30 years dealing with vendors like this I simply ignore the half-breeds and the hacks, and go for the solutions that are supported and work. Don't be afraid that they are small, upstart companies. If they really serve a business need they will become household names and the founders will sell off and buy themself something outragous, like a MIG, or a fleet of competition sailing yachts.

I have been through it with Sun, Cisco and others.

Sangoma also produce some great boards, although they need two layers of drivers. They have their own, and a shim layer driver to support zapata. The upside of this is better interrupt handling. The downside is a complicated driver setup with some not-quite-open drivers for teh card.

Cheap multiport ATA's are also arriving. Or, you could get yourself a traditional channel bank and hook it up to a T1/E1 port. Affordable, IP phones are also arriving in volume now.

-- mrr

Reply to
Morten Reistad

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.