554 fingerplate removal

I've been to six different websites and each site describes the same procedure for removing that plastic dial (fingerplate). Yet I cannot seem to get it off. I really want to change the phone number label. What am I doing wrong? It's a Western Electric 554 wall phone with two dates printed inside. One on the metal frame (8-73) and one on the network (8-67). Bryan

Reply to
Totalrod2
Loading thread data ...

Sheesehhh...last time I had to pop off the dial cover was in 1976 or so. To the best of my recollection I had to pry a very small flat bladed screwdriver under on edge. It was a black dial wall ITT phone.

Reply to
DTC

Totalrod2: All this is from my CRS afflicted memory so use with care!

Does this telephone have a clear plastic finger plate on the dial? If so does it have a paper-clip sized hole at about the four o'clock position? If so, insert the end of a straightened out paper clip into the hole and push it down, towards the interior of the telephone (that should release the finger plate retainer). Then, with pressure on the paper clip rotate the finger plate counter-clockwise a few degrees and it should pop right off.

To replace the finger plate, position it on the mechanism and rotate it all (the finger plate along with the dial mechanism) to the "Zero" position. Then continue turning the finger plate clockwise until the retainer locks the plate in position. It's easy after you've done it a few times - it's maddeningly difficult if you don't know the trick!

Reply to
Al Gillis

Opps...my bad. I was thinking of the center piece. Yep, you have to paper clip the hole and over turn the dial. Its all coming back to me now.

Reply to
DTC

I got it! Thanks guys. I wasn't turning the dial hard enough (for fear of breaking it). Have a merry Christmas. Bryan

Reply to
Totalrod2

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.