2-wire T1?

*BY*DEFINITION*, that is _not_ a T-1.

The T-1 spec requires 2 coax.

It may be "T-1 equivalent" bandwidth, that I'd agree with.

Some 'extra' hardware is required to convert that 2-wire signal to a true T-1 for input to a T-1 CSU.

UUnet is a different kind of "bottom feeder". They use quality technology, But they are a *BAD* 'net neighbor'. see the list at: for the collection of spammers they _continue_ to host.

They are #1, by a _large_ margin, on the list of providers supporting spammers, as measured by the number of 'really bad' spammers -- i.e. those who do it professionally, and have been kicked off _at_least_three_ other providers, previously.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi
Loading thread data ...

Technically, that is not a T-1. It may be a T-1 equivalent. :)

[[.. munch ..]]

Note: I did *not* say "because they use a 2-wire feed, they're a bottom feeder". I'll make it clearer: "because they *are* a bottom-feeder, they might be using any kind of set-up -- standard *or* sub-standard." I would not be surprised to find that in some cases they were using ADSL for a 'sold as "T-1 equivalent" line'. Not saying that they *always* do that, nor even that they _do_ do it, at all. Just that it would not surprise me to find out that they were so doing.

McLeod sells to customers where price is the over-riding consideration. They can sell cheap, because they bought/built cheap. The vast majority of their infrastructure was acquired at 'cents on the dollar' liquidations of dot-com bubble casualties .

Among other things, this means that there is a hodge-podge of equipment and systems deployed, It is _very_ difficult to predict just "what" they might be using in any given installation.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

IIRC, T-1 run on twisted pair copper (like ABAM cable, for example) electrically balanced between the two wires ? It was intended to originally ride the existing cable pairs with T-1 repeaters installed in place of the loading coils used on analog ckts.

I'm not aware of any T-1 on coax, although one flavor of European E-1 (T-1's foreign cousin at 2.048 Mbps) is unbalanced on coax .... there's also E-1 on balanced twisted pair, with balun tranformers available to interwork between the 2 kinds of E-1 if necessary in the lab, C.O., etc.

Reply to
NoSpam

Give the man a gold star. Although there were likely a xxxxload of cable plant engineering requirements to meet, and they soon started deploying err T-path I think it was called; cable with 2 separate shields so as to isolate the transmit & receive pairs from each other. [There was no fancy-smancy echo cancelling in 1962 technology T's]

Nor I...

Reply to
David Lesher

Perhaps a bit OT but UUNet is a part of Worldcom AKA MCI, notorious for their lack of concern for their customer's problems. Like many other huge comglomerates, they can get away with it because they're so big.

I'm overjoyed to see that their _now_convicted_ crook CEO Ebbers will see nothing but gray bars for the rest of his life. He deserves worse. Much worse.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.