X.25 Pad [Telecom]

Hi,

Can anbody gives me some phone numbers to dial in a public X.25 Pad?

***** Moderator's Note *****

I'm not sure that there _are_ any more public X.25 networks, but if there are, I think you'll need to start an account with one of them before you dial into it.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
nicofranzy
Loading thread data ...

There are phone book listing for "Packet service public dial ports" in my phone book (Nova Scotia, "South Shore" book, area code 902):

3101-300 baud 543-6850 3101-1200 baud 543-1360 3101-2400 Auto 543-1113 3101-Auto 9600 MNP 543-5699

The phone book entry for "DataPac" points to that entry. As these exist in the 543 exchange (small market town), I assume they exist in other Aliant exchanges as well.

For a year or two around 1990, I had VMS and Unix accounts at different universities but lived in a very rural place that had upgraded from party lines only a couple of years before. All the Uni accounts were long-distance calls. So I used DataPac for a couple of years, until our fledgling ISP finally provided a local-call dial port.

BH> ***** Moderator's Note ***** BH> BH> I'm not sure that there _are_ any more public X.25 networks, but if BH> there are, I think you'll need to start an account with one of them BH> before you dial into it. BH> BH> Bill Horne BH> Temporary Moderator

I had to open an account with the local telco and pay a monthly bill to use DataPac. But I've completely forgotten how the authentication worked.

Reply to
Mike Spencer

Telenet and Tymnet both had public access numbers.... you could call in, connect to a remote address and it would bill the recipient if you didn't have an account.

I doubt there is any of this still operating. There might be some vestiges of Widanet out there somewhere. The internet killed the public switched data network a decade ago.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Because X.25 was far too slow and had far too much overhead (both bandwidth-wise and financial). There were encapsulations defined, even an entire class-A network set aside for "IP over PDN", but this approach was more expensive than building pure-IP networks, despite the capital costs. The fact that the PDNs, at least in the U.S., were locked into a model of charging for connect time and for each character made the costs look worse, and telco technologies like Frame Relay provided similar flexibility without the overhead.

-GAWollman

Reply to
Garrett Wollman

I just checked the Halifax phone book, they have 300, 1200, 2400 &

9600 baud connection phone numbers under "Packet Access, Public", I tried calling in, the modems are live but I couldn't get a prompt.

h.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Because they were slow as a pig, and because the whole point of the new ISPs is that you didn't need to have a long distance connection, you connected up to a local provider.

During the last bit of the BBS Revolution in the eighties, Telenet came out with a service called PC Pursuit which allowed you to use a local dial-in into a distant dial-out, over the X.25 framework, for a fairly reasonable price. But the Internet killed the need to call up distant BBSes.

Yes, that they DID do very well. But long distance rates fell, and the price of competing services fell, and then the internet took over.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.