Who says Apple has no sense of humor? [telecom]

Apple just sent me a come-on for a new iphone, and although I'm not in the "smart phone" market, I couldn't help but pass along something I noticed: their address.

1 Infinite Loop Cupertino, CA

Now, who says that Apple doesn't have a sense of humor?

Of course, if it were up to me, I would have chosen ...

#1 Disk Drive

... but I guess that's out of fashion. ;-)

Bill Horne

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

Close, but no cigar! :-)

Seagate Technology

920 Disc Drive Scotts Valley, CA 95066 United States of America

The above address is between San Jose CA and Santa Cruz CA.

IIRC, there's another "Disk Drive" just off California Highway 237 between Sunnyvale and Milpitas.

Reply to
Thad Floryan

The address of Seagate Technologies is 920 Disc Drive.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

Or MeanFree Path. Or RootMean Square.

Reply to
Mike Spencer

Or the street near me: "Lois Lane".

There is even a street in the next town over labeled "Wong Way".

Bill "It's a slow day and they all have telephone poles" Horne

-- (Filter QRM for direct replies)

"Where the search for the truth is conducted with a wink and a nod Where power and position are equated with the will of God" - Jackson Browne

Reply to
Bill Horne

That's been their address since the late 70s. Infinite Loop is the name for the extension to Mariani Avenue that runs through the campus.

formatting link

Reply to
PV

I could't find a link, but I've driven by a sign for Northwestern University student housing in Evanston IL with an address on Root Mean Sq. It was on Sheridan Avenue if I remember right, so it was just an informal name by some math or EE geeks. *

Reply to
PV

Lake Jackson, Texas has streets named This Way and That Way.

Lake Jackson was founded during WWII, when Dow Chemical Company began building facilities to extract magnesium from Gulf of Mexico seawater. Dow built the original townsite to provide housing for its employees. The principal architect was Alden B. Dow, son of Herbert Henry Dow, founder of Dow Chemical. Alden Dow laid out streets in a series of meandering circles in a pattern sometimes thought to resemble a flower. Dow himself named the streets in the downtown area, including This Way and That Way.

formatting link
Neal McLain

Reply to
Neal McLain

Lake Jackson was founded during WWII, when Dow Chemical Company began building facilities to extract magnesium from Gulf of Mexico seawater. Dow built the original townsite to provide housing for its employees. The principal architect was Alden B. Dow, son of Herbert Henry Dow, founder of Dow Chemical. Alden Dow laid out streets in a series of meandering circles in a pattern sometimes thought to resemble a flower. Dow himself named the streets in the downtown area, including This Way and That Way.

And, as shown at the start of the article bought up by the URL, there is an intersection of This Way and That Way.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

***** Moderator's Note *****

Here's the URL:

formatting link
The intersection Wes mentions is a three way crossing, where This Way and That Way meet Center Way.

Since the weekend is over and there's still no possibility of find a telephone company on that map, I'll close the thread: who says I don't have a sense of humor?

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Wesrock
+--------------- | Mike Spencer writes: | >Or MeanFree Path. Or RootMean Square. | | I could't find a link, but I've driven by a sign for Northwestern | University student housing in Evanston IL with an address on | Root Mean Sq. It was on Sheridan Avenue if I remember right, so it was | just an informal name by some math or EE geeks. * +---------------

Who had probably read the classic John Brunner novel, "The Shockwave Rider":

formatting link
As one of the residents of Precipice [a.k.a. "Disasterville U.S.A."] says to the newly-arrived protagonist:

formatting link
... "You get off at Mean Free Path and walk south until you hit Root Mean Square and then just ask for Ted." ... Involuntarily Kate said, "Mean Free Path? Root Mean Square? Is that some kind of joke?"

There were four other passengers at this stage of the journey. All of them chuckled. The driver said over his shoulder, "Sure, the place is littered with jokes. Didn't you know?" ...

-Rob

----- Rob Warnock

627 26th Avenue San Mateo, CA 94403 (650)572-2607
Reply to
Rob Warnock

Busted. That's exactly where I stole (remebered and repurposed? :-) the clever names myself.

I had no idea the whole text was on line. I have the dead-tree version. A sadly overlooked good book. From the same era, and even more overlooked, is _The Programmer_ by Bruce Jachson. Same era (1975) and Jachson's protagonist is mobile but doesn't have a widespread cohort of Precipice citizens whose computers he can use. So [another desperate attempt to remain even close to topic] that meant having a van to lug several crates of gear from one telephone connection to another.

Reply to
Mike Spencer

You've heard of a no through road? Melbourne Australia has a Through Road. So there.

Liron

Reply to
Liron

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.