White Pages may fall victim of technology [Telecom]

Booster seats. Door stops. Fodder for papier-mache projects. It seems those thick phone books that land on most folks' doorsteps each year get used for just about everything except locating phone numbers.

If some state and local lawmakers have their way, however, even those uses would go by the wayside.

Under legislation they hope to take to Sacramento in January, state Sen. Leland Yee, D-San Francisco, and Millbrae Councilwoman Gina Papan would bar phone companies from producing and distributing White Pages unless people choose to receive it.

"All of us know in these cost-conscious times, with growing awareness of the environment, that we need to make sure we don't waste resources," Yee said during a news conference at Millbrae City Hall on Thursday morning.

formatting link
(Alternative, shorter URL)
formatting link

Reply to
Joseph Singer
Loading thread data ...

Can you please be more specific with your question: ILEC or CLEC? Post-divestiture AT&T or SBC-renamed-AT&T?

Illinois Bell/Ameritech/SBC was the ILEC in nearly all of Chicago and suburbs and major downstate cities like Rockford, Springfield, some of the Illinois side of the Quad Cities, and a lot of the Illinois side of the St. Louis metropolitan area.

Post-divestiture AT&T was a CLEC when it was in the cable tv business, but those customers are now Comcast subscribers. AT&T was also a CLEC unrelated to cable television, apparently in non-cable areas, but I don't know what period that was in.

But CLECs don't have telephone book publishing subsidiaries for the communities they serve, so I'm lost on what you are getting at.

Reply to
Adam H. Kerman

Thanks. I didn't know that SBC had taken over Ameritech.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.