What are "Short Code concatenated messages"? [Telecom]

*** Email subscribers get immediate access to articles and archives *** To subscribe, send an email to telecom-digest.org, with "sympa" *** as the user name, and put "subscribe telecom" >telecom digest Sun, 21 Apr 2019
>Table of contents: > >* 1 - [telecom] USA SMS - Short Code Potential delays to AT&T and Verizon - > Bill Horne

{snip}

Message-ID: >Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2019 14:49:47 +0000 >From: Bill Horne >Subject: [telecom] USA SMS - Short Code Potential delays to AT&T and Verizon > >We are investigating reports of outbound SMS delays to AT&T and >Verizon affecting Short Code concatenated messages. There are no >delays with normal length, and MMS messages. >

formatting link

I searched Google for a definition of the term, "Short Code concatenated messages" but could only find references to the service issue mentioned in the Sun, 21 Apr 2019 Telecom Digest.

My best guess is it means text messages that are longer than 160 characters which are automatically concatenated into successive SMS messages, but I'm not sure that's it.

"Short Code concatenated messages" doesn't seem to be a standard telecom industry term.

-bernieS (Remove QRM from my email address to write to me directly)

Reply to
bernieS
Loading thread data ...

Short Code SMS messages are premium numbers, shorter than the normal

10 digit phone numbers, that you can SMS a text message to; like "text 12345 to give $5 now to blah blah blah."

The Wikipedia article on SMS has a section devoted to them (under Premium-rated short messages).

The 'Concatenated SMS' part is as you suspect.

I'm sure its only an outage notice out because companies pay for this service above what the unwashed masses do.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.