Western Union public fax services, 1960 [Telecom]

Per our recent discussion on Western Union services, I found some information about Western Union's public facsimile services.

Western Union ran several advertisments in the New York Times for its public "wirefax"/"telefax" service. I found ads for 1959-1962.

The maximum size of a document was 8.5" x 11", and the transmitted portion was roughly 1" shorter on all sides (7.5" x 10"). Transmission took five minutes.

The service was offered in New York City, Washington DC, Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. In the time span I checked no additional cities were added.

The material had to be taken to a Western Union office. WU would pick it up at an additional charge for their messenger. It would be delivered by Western Union messenger without charge to any place within the city limits of the destination city.

The first 4" vertically between NYC and Chicago cost $2.40 and 40 cents for each additional inch. plus Federal tax. The first 4" between NYC and San Francisco cost $4.00 and 65 cents for each additional inch plus Federal Tax.

So, a full page letter (with margins) to Chicago would cost about $3.60 per page, to San Francisco would cost about $5.95 per page, both plus Federal Tax (10%?), in 1960 dollars, plus the expense of delivery to the central WU office. By today's dollars that seems quite pricey.

An engineering drawing would probably be larger than regular office size and need to be cut up for transmission in multiple pages. Legal contracts are usually multiple pages. Thus, a typical business document would be very expensive to transmit. Given that high price I can't help but wonder if a business might be willing to wait a day or two for air mail and special delivery, at a fraction of the cost. Other alternatives might be a Night Letter telegram or a Telex/TWX message. The business world moved a bit slower in those days*.

I presume there was some sort of air express service by 1960, but I have no idea what they'd charge for a small package back then. I believe Railway Express Agency (REA) offered expedited shipping on the fast overnight trains between New York and Chicago (eg the Twentieth Century Limited), but again I don't know the charges.

Certain documents would not be faxed such as photographs, or legally prohibited, such as drug prescriptions, naturalization certificates, legal tender, etc. I could understand prohibiting legal tender, but drug prescriptions and naturalization certificates are the kind of documents a traveller might need transmitted in a rush.

--NYT, 12/3/1959, display ad.

*I am amazed that anyone can sit at their desk today and, at no charge, receive stock quotes, stock history, and current analysis from many newspaper websites; that information that once was only available in a stockbroker's office to regular customers. Stockbrokers used the Western Union "900 speed" ticker to keep up. The Bunker Ramo company had stock-lookup computer terminals in the mid 1960s.

[public replies, please]

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Anyone remember FedEx's ill-fated ZapMail fax service ?

formatting link

Reply to
Reed

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 01:02:19 -0400, hancock4 wrote: .......

I once had a job installing/maintaining the technical infrastructure with a company that provided "real time" financial market information world-wide.

In Australia the whole thing was fed (back in the mid-1980's) by one

9600bps dedicated data link from the USA, with two dial-up modems as back up.

Now, this link cost absolute mega-bucks in those days and it served hundreds of local customers who were on various multi-drop polled network nodes - all connected by 1200bps 4 wire dedicated links.

The service itself cost thousands per month per terminal, but every money market in the country had at least one - and these days the same data can be served hundreds of times quicker at a fraction of the cost!

Reply to
David Clayton

There used to be some public stores (eg copying stores, stationery stores) that offered fax service for about $1/page, there may have even been self-service machines.

Is that still even offered?

Not everyone has a fax machine in their home or office, particularly retired people. Remember, a lot of everyday people out there do not have a computer in their home. Even those that do and can use the built in fax modem don't have the capability to scan a document, only fax text typed in.

But Western Union's prices seem awfully high, plus the cost of getting to their central office. I don't know the conversion factor for inflation for 1960, I'd guess maybe 8, so a single page to Chicago would be $29.00 in today's money. That's not cheap, and if the document was multiple pages . . . .

Reply to
hancock4

Yes, Office Depot and FedEx Office (formerly Kinkos) continue to offer this service. We don't own a fax machine and every once in a blue moon have to use their services to send a fax.

John

--=20 John Mayson Austin, Texas, USA

Reply to
John Mayson

My credit union offers a public fax service for its members, something like $1 plus toll charges, but I'd have to call the office for exact pricing.

My mother tells me that at her retirement community, there is a "public" fax for its residents at the big administrative building, which they call the "big house". Many seniors probably don't want to bother excessively with fax unless they must.

ObTelecom: When my mother switched her landline phone number in her dwelling at the retirement community, the admins at the community wanted to make sure that 911 would work okay when going from the ILEC, EMBARQ, to Atlantic Broadband. At 80+ years of age, she wanted her high speed cable internet access!

As a standby, the community has those "pull the cord for assistance" signaling systems in the bathrooms and bedrooms which signal an attendant at the Big House.

Reply to
Curtis R Anderson

As does just about every other "copy" and printing shop, and plenty of others. Typical rate would be $1.50 for the first outgoing (domestic) page and $1.00 for the following ones, and similarly $1.00 each for incoming. Lots of variation.

Reply to
danny burstein

I suspect for many seniors today a fax is a valuable service. Seniors often have medical needs which means lots of billing and medical forms which need to get sent to multiple providers and health-care insurers. The paperwork seniors have just from medical care is enormous.

Seniors may be assisted by their children, who may live in a different place, and transmit financial documents to/from them.

I visited a senior in a facility and there was a common-use photocopy machine, with an honor paper cup for 10c a copy.

At my mother's care facility, the door entry was interlinked with her phone. But it took forever for the community to set it up, which meant visitors couldn't get in conveniently. Apparently the phones were maintained by a parent organization that operated the facility.

***** Moderator's Note *****

N.E.T. experimented with Apartment Door Answering Service (ASAS), on the Boston University centrex, at Back Bay in the late 70's. The local pairs were wired to an ADAS frame, and from there to the dial tone on the 617-353 exchange, which was served by a #5XB. I don't know what became of it.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
hancock4

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.