Webpass is leaving Boston in latest sign of Google Fiber's shrinking ambitions [telecom]

Webpass is leaving Boston in latest sign of Google Fiber's shrinking ambitions

Google Fiber isn't just stalling; now it's shrinking

By Chris Welch

Webpass, the wireless home broadband company that Google Fiber acquired in 2016, is exiting the Boston market. The Verge received a reader tip on the situation and a quick look around revealed that Boston is no longer listed as a current Webpass market on the company's website. (It still appeared as recently as December.) Reached by phone Tuesday evening, a Webpass customer service representative confirmed that the company has stopped accepting new customers in Boston. And in a statement, Access - the Alphabet subsidiary that runs Google Fiber - also confirmed the news.

"As with any acquisition, we've spent some time evaluating the Webpass business. As a result of our analysis, we've made the decision to wind down Webpass operations in Boston," an Access spokesperson said by email. "We'll work with customers and partners to minimize disruption, and there will be no immediate impacts to their Webpass service. We continue to see strong subscriber response across the rest of the Webpass portfolio, including successful launches in Denver and Seattle in 2017."

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

The loss of an Internet service provider may not seem to be related to telecom, but I'm afraid it is. There is a shadow-boxing match going on between major phone providers like Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T, and their potential rivals, and it's being waged at the third level of the Internet: the part where the power brokers decide who will be able to compete.

I may be wrong - I've been wrong before - but ISTM that the U.S. Internet infrastructure is being taken over by established players who have been maneuvering for years to eliminate any potential compet- itor's ability to challenge them, by denying the newcomers the option to connect to anyone that's disatisfied with the status quo.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.