Viacom threatens to bolt Canada [telecom]

FierceCable, October 9, 2014, by Daniel Frankel

Making it rather clear that he doesn't support new rules proposed by Canada's version of the FCC that would unbundle pay-TV programming, Viacom's Keith Murphy, SVP of government relations has told the commission that so-called "pick and play" mandates would set off a "consumer welfare-destroying death spiral" for the Great White North's TV industry.

Oh, and Viacom would bolt from Canadian pay-TV and take its services over-the-top, too, if the rules were adopted ... eh.

The stern threats were rendered in a filing last week to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC), which is pondering a sweeping overhaul of the country's TV business. The initiative is called "Let's Talk TV."

Continued:

formatting link

-or-

formatting link

As every T-D reader must know by now I don't think full a-la-carte would significantly reduce the retail price of cable TV/satellite TV service. My reasons are set forth here:

formatting link

Nevertheless, as I've also noted in previous posts, I'm coming to the view that *something* must be done about the continuous increases in retransmission-consent fees. The Rockefeller-Thune "Local Choice" bill directly attacks the legal footing of retransmission consent. It's still bouncing around Capitol Hill so maybe there's hope...

formatting link

-or-

formatting link

Neal McLain

Reply to
Neal McLain
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.