Verizon/Yahoo ISP Service from Hell

THE ISP FROM HELL

Warning, Warning, Warning; If you have Verizon as your ISP do not install the Verizon/Yahoo Internet Program. Once it is installed it is impossible to get rid of. If you don't like it you are screwed!!! The following is a transcript of three hours of hell trying to get tech support to help me get rid of it. I can no longer use Outlook as my E-Mail program, and now my home page has been taken over also. The only way to get rid of this is to switch Internet providers and do a fresh install of Windows XP!!! I HATE THIS PROGRAM!!!!

[ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 4:37 PM] -- Status Message

The Verizon Online Support Center received your trouble ticket. A Support Representative will be assigned to your trouble ticket shortly.

[ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 4:38 PM] -- Status Message Your trouble ticket is assigned to Support Representative, Ann. [ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 4:39 PM] -- Ann Thank you for using Verizon. My name is Ann and I am the Verizon Online Support Analyst assigned to help you and will be working with you today. Please allow us a few minutes to review the problem description you have provided with this ticket. [ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 4:39 PM] -- Ann I will be happy to assist you. I do apologize for the trouble you are currently having. [ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 4:43 PM] -- Ann Did you want to remove the yahoo portal with Verizon? [ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 4:45 PM] -- xxxxxxxxx

Yes, I thought you received my previous description of the problem and what I have done so far. Have you not received anything I sent so yet???

[ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 4:48 PM] -- Ann

You can remove the Yahoo Portal from Verizon by going to add and remove programs There you can uninstall it. You will still see the Yahoo logo.

[ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 4:54 PM] -- xxxxxxxxx

I have already done that. I also removed the associated folders from Program Files. There are still a few problems. 1. I still have the black V logo up in the top right corner of my browser and 2. Outlook is asking for my password continually and won't accept it. I cannot download any e-mail from outlook. I have to go to Verizon web page for e-mail. I have checked the accounts tab and everything seems to be ok but the send test is failing.

I think I have gotten the program to quit changing my home page but I am not sure if it will change it again the next time I boot up. I realize this is not your fault, but this is the third time this system has made me input this description of my problem. it is becoming annoying.

[ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 4:56 PM] -- Ann

The settings will have to be changed for the incoming and our going server. For incoming put in incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net

[ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 5:00 PM] -- xxxxxxxxx

As I said, I checked the accounts tab and everything is as it should be. Those changes have already been made. I realize I can do a system restore, but I want to make sure nothing on your server will change my computer back the next time I open Explorer. I also want to remove the black V logo from my browser.

[ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 5:02 PM] -- Ann

As I explained the Logo will stay as is. You can do a system restore. However, we are unable to give you support. This is not within our Support Boundaries. I do apologize.

[ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 5:04 PM] -- xxxxxxxxx

You are telling me that I can no longer use outlook to receive my e-mail from the verizon server??? If this is not within your support boundaries what is???

[ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 5:07 PM] -- Ann

I am referring to the System Restore. Please read the content of my instruction.

[ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 5:11 PM] -- xxxxxxxxx

Has the account that I set up combining verizon and yahoo been terminated at your server. I know a system restore will reset my computer back but has the account been terminated at your end. And you did NOT explain...why will the black V logo stay as is??? I think perhaps you should take your own advice.

[ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 5:16 PM] -- Ann

Please go to netmail.verizon.net log in with user name and password. Compose a test email. Let us know if you can send and receive.

[ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 5:17 PM] -- xxxxxxxxxx ok [ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 5:23 PM] -- xxxxxxxxxx

Now I can not sign in to Verizon. I saved the user ID and password info here it is (Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

This is a copy of the installation log which I saved:

Username: xxxxxxx Password: xxxxxxxx Alternate E-mail address: None Portal Choice: Verizon Yahoo!

Help & Support: HYPERLINK "

formatting link
"\\n
formatting link
Welcome to Verizon Yahoo! Your Yahoo! account is now upgraded. Account Information You can now enjoy all your Verizon Yahoo! premium services when you use these accounts: Email messages and address book entries may take up to 6hrs to move to your new Verizon Yahoo! account. Until this process completed, no new emails will be delivered to your account.

Print this page for future reference.

Your Verizon Yahoo! username xxxxxxxxx @verizon.net Your upgraded Yahoo! ID xxxxxxxxx @yahoo.com=20

Your POP and SMTP settings - incoming.yahoo.verizon.net - outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net )

[ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 5:24 PM] -- Ann

Click on forgot password link follow the instructions. Answer the Secret Question then reset it again.

[ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 5:25 PM] -- xxxxxxxxx

I have tried to sign in using the password but cannot. My home page has also been changed back to the verizon/yahoo page, and my email is still inked . Let me do a system restore and come back online to see if that helps. If you say OK then I will sign off and then sign back in with the same ticket #

[ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 5:27 PM] -- xxxxxxxxx

It says my user ID does not exist. I have tried it with and without the @verizon.net

[ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 5:29 PM] -- Ann

I checked the account in our data base we do not see any issues with the account as been terminated. The account is open and active.

[ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 5:30 PM] -- xxxxxxxxx

I am going to do a system restore and will sign back in on the same ticket #

[ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 5:30 PM] -- xxxxxxxxx

I am stepping away and will be back shortly.

[ Thu, Dec 15, 2005 7:45 PM] -- xxxxxxxxx

The System Restore did not help. I am still denied access to your e-mail server. I was able to change my password and am recognized when I log in and am greeted by name, but when I try to access the e-mail I get a message that says I do not have access privileges. I am also not able to download e-mail to Outlook, and I have changed the password in the accounts tab to match the change with verizon. Question, what is the "control pad" and where is it? What do I do now to get access to my e-mail? The "enter network password" dialog box keeps asking for the password, and it cycles through each e-mail account on its own.

The short answer is that you can't. Once you have chosen Yahoo as your portal your email page will always be different. There is nothing we can do to change this.

The only option would be to switch portals to the MSN which does not = change your email page. You are eligible to do this 90 days after going to Yahoo. I see that you didn't get the Yahoo until yesterday. This means you can switch to MSN in 89 days.

No, I guess what I am going to have to do is save most of my C drive to an external hard drive and do a fresh install of Windows XP

This is worse than any virus I have ever had.

Reinstalling Windows will not allow your portal page to change. This is something that is stored on the server and linked to you account. Every time you sign into a Verizon or Yahoo page your Verizon/Yahoo page will come up. This is the point of a portal.

What I can do right now is check your outlook for you.

Please do, as I would like to be able to use it. Also, the network at my place of employment can go back and do a system restore on my computer at work and that resets my computer back to its previous state. You do not have this ability??

Doing a system restore will take your computer back to before you has the Yahoo which will get rid of the Yahoo software, but our server has changed.

As soon as you accepted the terms of service for the Verizon/yahoo your profile on the server changed and a restore wont get that back because it is different on our server.

So there is literally nothing I can do??

Basically no. As I stated earlier you can switch to the MSN portal in

90 days, which does not change any of your settings or your email page. It operates in a different way.

Then go ahead and check Outlook for me and see if you can get it back online.

Okay.

The email address listed there is not actually your verizon email is it?

It was before yesterday. I don't know what it is now.

It is not working because the wrong servers are in there; they have changed with the Yahoo.

Actually I had three. The default was xxxxxxxxx @verizon.net. okay?

Will the other two need to be changed also?

Yes I will do that now.

That keeps coming up which it shouldn't. This is something that has to do with the software

I will check another setting

When this keeps coming up it means the password or username are wrong.

Have you changed the passwords at all?

Not those two. Only the first primary one.

You may need to change the passwords to sign in and then change them back.

We can do that now if you want.

Ok.

What is the control pad this page speaks about down at the bottom/?

It is now nonexistent software.

The password for this account on the page can be changed, but we also have to change the passwords for the other 2 accounts.

Ok I have already changed this one go ahead and navigate to the other two.

Please type in the new PW you set for this account and we can test and see if it went through ok and then well change the PW for the other account

Because the password was typed incorrectly a few times it is asking for the text letters.

This is the one that you just set.

Do you want the xxxxxxxxx @verizon.net

What now?

Lets try another email address

This means that you are typing something incorrectly

I don't type anything wrong that time. But I will try again if you want.

Am I doing something else wrong?

Well the email address you had just typed in was a different one than the address you had originally changed the password for.

This one?

The email address that you changed the password for originally we want to type it in on the page I will show you now.

This one?

---------------------------------

At this point the tech abruptly ended the support session with no notice at all. I am left with a screwed up ISP with no possibility of fixing it short of getting a new provider. The following is the customer satisfaction response I left.

----------------------------------

The tech was unable to resolve my problem due to flaws in your services. I am seriously considering canceling my acct and switching to another provider. I foolishly installed the Verizon/Yahoo package and found I did not like it. Now I am unable to get rid of it and go back to two separate programs. Not even a fresh install of Windows XP will solve my problem, as the fault is in your server. There is no way to resolve this problem short of terminating my service with Verizon. This is worse than any virus I have ever had, and is the most unsatisfactory experience I have ever had regarding my use with a computer in any way. I intend to post this problem on every web site I can to warn others from making the same mistake I made. The tech finally gave up and just signed off without warning or even a goodbye. This has been and will be horrible for some time.

[TELECOM Digesst Editor's Note: Well, that will teach you to mess around with a Yahoo/Verizon combination. About three or four years ago when I still had Southwestern Bell DSL I was suckered into combining a Yahoo account with the SBC DSL and had about the same thing happen. I do not remember it exactly any longer, but I wound up changing my name on DSL amd also taking a different name on Yahoo. By doing that, the server began to ignore all the stuff under my original name, and with my new name on both systems (Yahoo and SWB-DSL) I did _not_ make that same mistake again of trying to combine them, no matter how many times the smiling lady on SBC wrote me promotional letters telling me how much I -- as a valued customer -- was missed. What you might try is opening a totally new account -- or at least a new user name with Verizon (and Yahoo, if you want that account also); never let them see or hear of the old names. Also, on your XP you might try looking in the 'documents and settings' folder and find the profile it created for you at some point. Try renaming that 'profile.old' or similar and powering down, then logging back in. Your XP will not be able to find the profile it had for you, so it will have to construct a new one. When you get back on, and a new profile has been created, then try exporting your address books and other things. Let us know how it works out for you. PAT]
Reply to
Michael Banks
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.