Verizon Wireless Closing a Third of US Call Centers, Cutting Customer Service Jobs [telecom]

WASHINGTON, DC -- Verizon Wireless announced plans last month to close six call center locations across the country, which will result in elimination of approximately 3,000 customer service jobs. Only half of the 6,500 positions currently at the affected call centers in Huntsville, Ala., Little Rock, Ark., Mankato, Minn., Albuquerque, N.M., Hilliard, Ohio and North Charleston, S.C. will remain as the company transitions to a home-based customer service representative model over the next year.

Verizon is characterizing these closures as a necessary part of its transition to a home-based workforce at six of its 18 existing call centers. But this "transition" masks the employment loss that will result.

formatting link

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

That sounds to me like a violation of the National Labor Relations Act. Are they also pretending that you are "independent contractors" to avoid paying benefits and payroll taxes?

-GAWollman

Reply to
Garrett Wollman

I don't know about any of the others, but I was paid on a W-2.

The other trainees were mostly 20-somethings who I guessed had kids in school or were tired of McBurger jobs. I didn't get a very good read on any of them.

It would be interesting to see if the NLRA mandates that their employer hand over lists of names and addresses or other contact info.

I left after the third week, when I realized that I was being set up to fail - something like 12 separate systems, each with different login credentials and automatic time-outs on a login, so that I would have been constantly struggling just to get the information that I needed to be competent at the job. If that was designed that way, then someone might have a case for age discrimination, although I'm too old.

I decided to pull the plug when I was a week away from my 66th birthday. I'm now retired and collecting Social Security, and overjoyed that I can ignore the B.S. that the other trainees are now screen-deep in.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.