Verizon FIOS block port 80 and 25 for residential service

Yesterday I try to play game with my Russian friend that is using port

1. I was able to connect to him, but he was not able to connect to my computer. I verified my firewall and router and everything was set correctly. I decide to contact Verizon customer service. The waiting time was 90 minutes!!! Technician (his name Tony) explained me that I should use portforward.com website to change my router. I told him that I do not see my game on the list. Tony asked me to call in the next morning to resolve this blocking issue.

Next morning I call 1-888-553-1555. Technician told me that Verizon blocking incoming traffic on port 80 and 25 as businesses used this port to host website. He also mentions if people will host websites I will have slow Internet service. So, he cannot unblock port as this game is a "BUSINESS" usage.

Surprise!!! Now Verizon will tell me what game should I play! Soon they will tell us what sites we should visit, what book we should buy, what news we should read.

This reminds me a communist country. Does anyone have different opinion?

***** Moderator's Note *****

Although this post is "iffy" as far as being on-topic for telecom, I'm allowing it because I want to hear from the readers about port blocking on VoIP or other digital voice services.

Do any of the readers have direct experience with Verizon or any other ISP blocking digital voice traffic? I'm not interested in apocryphal stories or things you heard around the water cooler: please write only if it has happened to _you_.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Reply to
InternetServiceVerizonFiosMode
Loading thread data ...

In InternetServiceVerizonFiosModerator writes: [snip]

Ports 25 and 80 aren't (commonly) used for voice but are, as the earlier poster kind of got, are used for web serving (port 80) and... for e-mail dropoff (port 25).

A hefty number of ISPs, as an anti spam measure, block off any attempts to get "out" to port 25 (the mail port) unless it's to their own system. This prevents a pretty good percentage of spam attempts, which come from compromised personal (and business) computers, from sending out their garbage.

Port 80 is the one most commonly used for web servicing. Far too many ISPs block it on their residential lines because, well, because they can... They claim that heavy usage of such will cripple the (slower) outgoing links and damage their service. (The majority of residential connections are "assymetrical" in speed design and topology; that is, they can provide much larger aggregate bandwidth "down" to the customer than "up" to the general internet.

I've just been in negotiations with a modest sized alternative competitive carrier ("RCN") to establish service for my 1,000 unit apartment complex. The rep, after I quite specifically pressed teh questions, confirmed that their default setting will be to block both ports.

Note that any while the block of port 80 prevents first attempts at web hosting, it's pretty trivial to work around it.

Reply to
danny burstein

VoIP does not use ports 80 (web server) nor port 25 (email server). Most ISP will block these port for residential users who are not supposed to be hosting web servers, and especially port 25 which is used by spammers. In fact, some users computers have been turned into zombie computers that send out a lot of spam!

To the OP, it is not a problem with what game you play but the games that cyber criminals play using those ports.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Skype most certainly does reserve port 80. I found this out by accident when I installed Apache on my Windows box. Apache kept complaining that something else had port 80 assigned.

A little tracing of netstat told me it was Skype so I killed it and took it out of automatic startup. Now Apache starts up automatically and if I manually start Skype everythign is happy.

Reply to
T

Thanks for that. I wonder if Skype was doing a 'phone home' of some sort.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Yes, you should have read the contract that you agreed to when you purchased the service.

If you absolutely HAVE to run a web server, you can do it on port 8080, but it is strictly speaking a violation of your terms of service.

You get whatever service you are willing to pay for. If you are willing to pay for the lowest level of home service where the contract specifically states that many ports are blocked, you should expect this to be the case.

I have never heard of it happening, but strictly speaking it is against the terms of service in the Verizon contract.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.