Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones?

If you call a cellphone (without voicemail) and it doesn't answer, after a few rings an intercept recording will come on and tell you the party is not available and terminate the call.

When you reach that recording, is that call chargeable? I don't think it should be since it was unanswered, but my experience is that one does get charged.

A few years ago I was meeting a friend at a convention, and I was to call his cell phone from a pay phone upon my arrival. His cell phone number was long distance from that point. I called a few times using my Calling Card but couldn't reach him and I was billed for the calls. (I complained and they took it off.)

Now I realize most people today have such low per-call fees (ie 10c) so this isn't an issue, but there are times from a pay phone, long distance, or peak period cell phone roaming where the per-call charge is indeed significant, even as much as a dollar or more per minute. It doesn't seem to fair to charge for unanswered calls. I don't know if traditional supervision (call answered) signals are passed back from cell phone switches.

[public replies, please]
Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.