Tracing Calls w/Spoofed Numbers? [telecom]

Pete Cresswell wrote: :Per David Clayton: :>And of course we ALL know that best practice IVR prompts go: :>

:>"For Dave please press 1." :>

:>Not "Try and remember this number until I finally give you the reason to :>use it" ;-)

:That one went right over my head.

:How about a dumbed-down explanation for the humor-impaired?

He means good prompts are "for Foo, press 1." Not "Press 1 for foo". I know I want foo, or am at least likely to decide that's what I want when I hear it as an option, so all I have to do is listen for press 1. If you tell my which button to push, I have to remember that and listen to the explanation at the same time.

That's annoying. It's worse if there's more instruction than that. A company I deal with from time to time has an instruction "Hang up, and dial 800-xxx-xxxx if this is an emergency". (It's worse, because one of their prompts dials that number for you.)

Reply to
David Scheidt
Loading thread data ...

If [they] announce "Press 1 for Dave." you have to remember the "1" before you know [who] it's for. If you [hear] "For Dave, press 1" you know that what follows is the number you want or don't want. The first way, you may not remember where you are in a fairly long list, most of which you have no interest in.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Wes Leatherock

Per David Scheidt:

Thanks.

Now that it's been said, I can see that it really would be annoying.

OTOH, for telephone solicitors....... -)

"H E L L O....... Y O U......... H A V E...... R E A C H E D.... THE...............SLOW.............. TALKERS.........OF..... AMERICA........ PLEASE......... PRESS...... 1..... FOR........

Reply to
Pete Cresswell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.