The Geeks Behind Obama's Web Strategy

The Geeks Behind Obama's Web Strategy A group of Boston geeks helped Barack Obama turn the Web into the ultimate political machine. Will he use it now to reinvent government?

By David Talbot | January 8, 2009

On a February night nearly two years ago, a Boston computer programmer named Jascha Franklin-Hodge was entertaining a first date over dinner at Shanti, in Dorchester, when his cellphone rang, displaying a Chicago number. Bolting from his plate of korma and dashing outside, he heard good news from the fledgling Barack Obama campaign. Franklin-Hodge and his squad of Web designers and programmers at Blue State Digital -- a small start-up in a creaky-floored loft office on Congress Street in the Seaport District

-- had been hired to build much of Obama for America's digital backbone: the interactive and social-networking features of my.barackobama.com, or MyBO.

MyBO would become the hub of the campaign's online efforts to organize supporters, channel their energies effectively, enable them to call millions of voters, and, of course, collect donations. Today President-elect Obama has a new soapbox, change.gov, the official transition website (also built by Blue State Digital). It features such novelties as Cabinet nominees giving YouTube replies to comments posted by average Americans. The extent to which Obama goes on to use the Web -- as a portal to release more government data for public consumption, as an instrument for rallying Americans to advance his agenda, and to bypass traditional media -- is yet to be seen. But his campaign platform promised Obama would use technology to create "a new level of transparency, accountability, and participation." When Obama takes the oath of office nine days from now, his hallmark is likely to be a massive use of the Web.

He certainly took online campaigning to a new level. His e-campaign included not only MyBO, of course, but also the powerful leveraging of everything from text-messaging to YouTube video propagation to supporter networks on platforms like Facebook -- and on a scale that dwarfed what was achieved by Hillary Clinton or John McCain (for example, Obama had more than 3.4 million Facebook supporters, six times McCain's number). Of course, that night at Shanti, all that was clear to Franklin-Hodge was that a polished but long-shot junior senator would step to a Springfield, Illinois, lectern nine days later, on February 10, 2007, to announce his candidacy. Franklin-Hodge -- a baritone-voiced MIT dropout, now 29 years old -- had been around this block once before; he was part of a core group of geeks who built the then-novel online apparatus for the Howard Dean campaign. But 2003 was still the Dark Ages for online social networking. The Dean tools for setting up meetings and donating were a little rough. More important, fewer Americans were comfortable using the Internet to form communities and to organize. (In 2003, Facebook didn't exist in its present form but today has more than 40 million American accounts; it seems every other Joe Sixpack has a Facebook profile.)

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

My only experience with Blue State Digital is that they seem remarkably clue resistant. Throughout the campaign they were running an open mailing list server... anybody could join anyone else up on their mailing list, and lots of people did. Telephone calls to the folks at Blue State resulted in total disbelief that this was a problem.

Mailing list confirmation became standard a decade or so ago, when Internet use ballooned and sites were no longer really able to keep track of their users or keep reasonable control over them. To run a mailing list without confirmation today is like walking into a bar with a KICK ME sign on your back.

I certainly hope that these people are not going to be giving any advice to Mr. Obama about the future growth of the internet or about networking policies. If they are, we can all just go home now.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I would guess that the IT people who work at the Whitehouse as well as the IT people in charge of communications would clue them. Years ago when I worked for the phone company, the president would fly to the west coast and Looking Glass would follow and sit at March AFB, we tied the plane into the public network through secure systems, and those people were aware of everything.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.