Testing existing home wiring [telecom]

Here's a question regarding _existing_ home wiring. How does one test it to determine its quality?

Right now I have dial up but need to upgrade to DSL. I'm only a mile from the C.O. so I think that won't be an issue.

What I don't know is the wiring in my building and that to my individual apt. I have no control over that.

With dial up I max out at 52 kbs. Is that good or weak?

Are there any tests I could run to determine the effective bit transport capacity of my line?

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

wrote

Test YOU could run......no, probably not.

If you opt. for a "technician" install instead of do-it-yourself, they could/should do the test but that will be extra $$$ and probably isn't worth the trouble. DSL is very fault tolerant. I've had mine continue to work at near full speed when the voice "side" was not useable.

***** Moderator's Note *****

If you want to test your system after it has been installed, there are lots of free "speed test" sites that will do it for you. I'm a Speakeasy customer, and you can go to

formatting link
and click on "Speed test".

Since the DSL line is (or should be) the slowest link in your connection, if the test shows you're getting normal DSL speed, the rest of your network is working OK.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
Who Me?

If you haven't been having problems with voice quality, I wouldn't worry about it. DSL is not all that sensitive.

I think the issue with DSL is things like loading coils. Those are unlikely to be inside your building.

That is very good. Most people don't get out of the high 40s.

Don't forget to install the filters they'll give you at your voice phones, or the DSL may make voice connections staticky.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland
[...]

For simplicity, you may want to do as I did with the filters. Instead of having a filter hanging off each phone or TAD in the house/apt, I put one at the NIJ so that all of the house wireing goes thru the one filter. Then I ran a seperate cat3 (cat5 or better could also be used) cable from the NIJ to the location of the DSL modem and plugged it into the modem port on the filter. If all of your house wireing is home run to the NIJ, this is easy.

More details and a photo of the NIJ available on request.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

"Telephony Access Device"?

I've done that as well. Though in an old house mucking with the wiring can be... interesting. But it sounds like Lisa is in an apartment and does not have the degree of access required.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

"Telephone Answering Device".

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.