[telecom] When Free Stuff Leads You Astray

When Free Stuff Leads You Astray

By ANN CARRNS OCTOBER 23, 2012

We all like freebies. But sometimes, free stuff can lure you into making choices that may not really be best. I learned that lesson anew last week, while on a road trip that took me through rural parts of Arkansas and Missouri.

A quick comparison of flying time versus driving time had led me to choose the automobile for this outing. That meant I'd be behind the wheel for about six hours, but at least part of the route promised to include scenic foliage, and the weather looked good.

Since I was driving alone, I decided to use a voice-guided G.P.S. system, to avoid having to check maps while dodging road kill. I had recently acquired an iPhone (not the most recent version, infamous for its map snafus). So I did a quick online search to see what navigation app might work best. My cellular provider, Verizon, offered one, for an extra $5 a month. That might not sound so pricey, but I think my cellphone bill is already outrageous, so I balked and kept searching.

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

"Apps" are never free: that's a fact of electronic life. No matter what the out-of-pocket expense, downloaded software comes with compromises. New applications require users to climb a learning curve, adjust their habits, and accept a new set of limitations on what they are able to do.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.