[Telecom] Spoofed from My Cellular Exchange?

I have noticed a few times that when I get a telemarketing call that it is from a number on my own cellular exchange.

Example: Say that my cellular number is (625) 456-1234.

When I get a call from a few certain telemarketers, I get something like (625) 456-2240 in the CID.

These are numbers that I made up as examples. According to LincMad.com, 625 is not a live area code at this time (it is not listed as an active area code). I dialed these numbers and got recordings.

I find it strange that they would be calling from a cellular exchange! And they have the same exchange code that my cellular phone is on?

I have little doubt that the CID number was spoofed. I called back once or twice and I always get a 'not in service' recording. I guess they are careful to spoof using a non-working number.

Do they actually believe that I would think [since it was coming from my exchange] that I would assume they are a neighbor and answer the phone anyway?

Oh, I'll answer. But [as soon as I hear the pitch] I shut them down. I do that with all telemarketers. And I am very blunt when I do. And I always tell them to 'Put me on your Do Not Call list!' so I'm very clear.

I can't think of a way to block them since they are using different spoofed numbers. Hopefully, they will get tired of getting an earful from me and not call back. Fortunately, they don't call me very often. In fact, it is months between such events.

I could add them to my blacklist. But they will just spoof another number when they call back. So in this case, there is just no point.

The CallCentric service is terrific. I have gotten a few numbers from telemarketers that were defined as low probability of a telemarketing call. I just add them to my blacklist [which I can do with a few clicks of a mouse from the CallCentric Web site] and I don't hear from them any more. And with that mouse, I can also report them so that the company [that rates the numbers] can consider changing their status to medium or high probability of being a telemarketer.

I wish I could hear the telemarketers reaction when they get the SIT tones and the not in service recording that Callcentric sends to callers on my blacklist and to numbers that are rated medium or high probability of being a telemarketing call. Even if they do call again, my phone will not ring for them nor will they get my voice mail.

Bob Bulmash suspended Private Citizen's 'Do Not Call Directory' service. Most telemarketers are calling from outside of the country and can easily skirt the Do Not Call list law. And it is difficult for him to serve them since most of them are outside of the United States.

I consider Callcentric a new way to fight back.

Like all things, it is not a perfect service. But my phone has been relatively quiet except for legitimate callers. If they do get through, at I have the tools to fight back.

Thanks to John Levine for being the first to suggest this service and thanks to everyone else who made the same recommendation.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.