[telecom] Reg probe bombshell: How we HACKED mobile voicemail without a PIN

Reg probe bombshell: How we HACKED mobile voicemail without a PIN

Months after Leveson inquiry, your messages are still not secure

By Simon Rockman

24 Apr 2014 The Register

Special report Voicemail inboxes on two UK mobile networks are wide open to being hacked. An investigation by The Register has found that even after Lord Leveson's press ethics inquiry, which delved into the practice of phone hacking, some telcos are not implementing even the most basic level of security.

Your humble correspondent has just listened to the private voicemail of a fellow Reg journalist's phone, accessed the voicemail inbox of a new SIM bought for testing purposes, and the inbox of someone with a SIM issued to police doing anti-terrorist work. I didn't need to use nor guess the login PIN for any of them; I faced no challenge to authenticate myself.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

I don't know if it's still possible but there used to be a Perl script for MagicJack where you could change the outbound CLID. And then plug in the number of a Sprint subscribe and dial the same number and lo and behold you'd be in their voice mail box.

Reply to
tonypo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.